- Make sure she has either something to drink or something to suck on (like a dummy) at take off and landing!
- Brand new toys she's never seen wrapped up like a pass the parcel, snacks, interactive books, post it notes (stick them everywhere and let her pull them off) it's never as bad as you think it's going to be!
- Large snap lock bags for clothes that get spills or other stuff and ask for lots of plastic drinking cups. It's amazing how much fun they can have stacking them! Lots of little snap lock bags with different things in them, the more colour the better.
First-time parents Gemma and Richie McCaw have completed their first long-haul plane trip with baby Charlotte and, as any parent who has travelled with babies will know, this is quite the accomplishment.
The McCaw trio travelled to Tokyo this week for the Rugby World Cup and Gemma was clearly apprehensive about how the flight would go beforehand, asking her Instagram followers for tips on flying with babies.
However, the flight seemed to go without a hitch, with Gemma sharing on social media after the family had arrived in Tokyo that Charlotte had ended up staying awake for most of the trip, happily playing with a cup:
"We made it to Tokyo and will sleep well tonight, hopefully she does too 😆Thanks for all the traveling tips, they were very much appreciated.
"Lottie did well and had so much fun she stayed up most of the way (no tears though) 😂 Who would've thought a cup would provide so much entertainment on board?! We are looking forward to exploring this beautiful city..."
In Gemma's post asking for travel tips, we get the best glimpse of baby Charlotte that we've seen yet and she is absolutely adorable, pretty in pink and snuggled in her dad's arms as she leans towards her mum to press her forehead against Gemma's.
Richie and Gemma are clearly enjoying family life.
Gemma's callout for advice read: "TOKYO bound and we can't wait. Any tips for traveling 11 hours with a baby welcome. Wish us luck 🙈"
And as for the travelling tips, Gemma's followers certainly provided some great ideas. The top tips included:
It sounds like this final tip was the winner on the day - and a bonus that Charlotte seemed happy with just the one cup!
- Diet & NutritionJamie Oliver opens up about his recent weight loss and his mission to inspire healthy eating
Good Health ChoicesToday 10:00am
- FamilySamantha Hayes' baby Marlow joins her on the newsdesk and all we can say is awww!
Now To LoveToday 6:40pm
- RoyalsThe Sun's executive editor Kiwi Dan Wootton on his royal scoops and tabloid career
Now To LoveToday 2:45pm
- BodyWhy we should all be exercising our pelvic floor muscles every day
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 10:00am
- RoyalsPrince Harry asks to simply be called ‘Harry’ during his first engagement since moving to Canada
Now To LoveYesterday 11:50am
- RoyalsThere has been a coronavirus scare at Prince George and Princess Charlotte’s school in London
Now To LoveYesterday 10:05am
- WeddingsHappily ever after: Meet the Kiwi bride who has married herself
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:21am
- FamilyShe was my escape: Taylor Swift's heartbreak over her mum's health scare
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:09am
- WeddingsRebekah Palmer's dreamy summer wedding was a day full of surprises
Woman's DayYesterday 8:15am