Sometimes young minds have the best ideas, and this is definitely the case with 10-year-old Hobart youngster, Oliver Edwards.
Oliver was given a homework challenge to come up with an idea that would be good for his community and after talking to his mum, Cathy, about homelessness thought up a concept so lovely the world has stopped to take notice.
Oliver and his mum collect second-hand coats and hang them from trees around Hobart with a note, "Free on a tree. If you need this, it's yours."
The duo, who've set up a Facebook page, Free on a Tree, to spread awareness about their cause, began hanging the coats up about two weeks ago.
School friends' parents donated some, and Cathy found a few in her wardrobe.
But before long a local radio station had picked up the story and there are now donation points set up at different spots around Hobart. The idea is also said to have spread to other parts of Tasmania, and Oliver has found himself the centre of media attention.
Cathy told Mamamia that Oliver likes to take his mates out with him to hang the coats.
She said she wanted Oliver to have an awareness of community and understand there are small things we can do that make a difference for those who "miss out".
"In Hobart, we've got these little pockets of homelessness. It's pretty grim out there, so it's nice to be able to do a tiny little bit. Even if it's just a few people knowing that there are people out there who care."
- Celebrity NewsJay-Jay Feeney and Paul Flynn: our perfect friendship
Woman's DayJan 08, 2021
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to our exclusive screening of Penguin Bloom
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 27, 2020
- Celebrity NewsRobert Rakete's Christmas plans: 'It'll be a breeze!'
Woman's DayDec 25, 2020
- Celebrity NewsJase, Toni & Sam get festive with their four-legged friends
Woman's DayDec 21, 2020
- FamilyThe Terrace at Sylvia Park - what's on offer at this new dining destination
Now To LoveDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsShortland Street's Ben Barrington and Ngahuia Piripi's Christmas celebrations
Woman's DayDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsWendy Petrie and Matty McLean's festive cheer: 'Our hearts are so full'
Woman's DayDec 15, 2020
- Celebrity NewsKanoa Lloyd and Mike McRoberts' best Christmas ever
Woman's DayDec 14, 2020
- Celebrity NewsSoon I’ll be a dad to three under three! Sam Wallace shares his hopes and fears
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 11, 2020
- Celebrity NewsCarolyn Keep's little miracle: 'The baby I never thought I'd have'
Woman's DayDec 10, 2020
- RoyalsMeghan Markle reveals she miscarried her second child in a powerful personal essay
Now To LoveNov 26, 2020
- CompetitionsWin a Farro Hamper and a double pass to Happiest Season
Now To LoveNov 25, 2020
- CompetitionsWin the Ultimate Teeth Whitening Prize Pack thanks to Colgate Optic White
Woman's DayNov 23, 2020