The devastated mother of a 13-year-old Queensland boy has said her son took his own life because he was bullied relentlessly about being gay.
Tyrone Unsworth, who died on Monday, had been the picked on since year five and his heartbroken mother, Amanda Unsworth, says as the years went on her son’s tormentors had gotten more malicious.
"Tyrone ended up being gay and a lot of people started picking on him," his mother, Amanda Unsworth, told The Courier Mail.
"He was a really feminine male, he loved fashion, he loved make-up and the boys always picked on him, calling him gay-boy, faggot, fairy."
Tyrone’s death comes just one month after his mother says he was physically attacked outside of school grounds with a fence paling. The incident saw Tyrone admitted to hospital for surgery on his face.
Following her son’s surgery Ms Unsworth said she had not gone to Aspley State High School, where Tyrone attended, to let the school know about her concerns but Queensland Police said they were investigating the incident.
Tyrone's grandmother, Twiggy Jones, told the newspaper her once "happy-go-lucky" grandson’s stint in hospital meant he feared going back to school.
"When he came out of hospital he was a different boy ... he just kept telling us all 'I don’t want to go to school, I don’t want to end up back at hospital'," she said.
Aspley State High School principal Jacquita Miller confirmed the school was unaware of the incident but she expressed her condolences to the family.
"We are really sympathetic with the family, and his loved ones and peers," Ms Miller told the newspaper.
"We had no reports to the school of the bullying, we really try to work with families to resolve these complex issues. I'm just so sorry and sad that we didn’t have the opportunity to help this young man."
- WeddingsDying bride's perfect day: My final dream has come true
Woman's DayToday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's trick to beating a heatwave? ‘Budgie smugglers’, he says
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- TVWhat drove these celebs to sign up for Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayToday 12:35pm
- Pregnancy & BirthWhy model Ashley Graham's baby bump photo has got everyone talking
Now To LoveToday 12:07pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine honours this lucky nine-year-old to celebrate World Photography Day
Now To LoveToday 11:15am
- CareerI loved him like a son: Phil Kingsley Jones remembers Jonah Lomu in his final years
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:29am
- TVMatty McLean says he's lived some of his proudest moments on Celebrity Treasure Island
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:09am
- TVThe redemption of former All Black Zac Guildford on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 8:45pm
- TVKarl Burnett quits Celebrity Treasure Island as mental health suffers
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30pm
- Married at First SightMAFS' Cyrell Paule is expecting a baby with Love Island's Eden Dally
Now To LoveYesterday 1:21pm
- Pregnancy & BirthAll the gorgeous details from Samantha Hayes’ 'beautiful' baby shower
Now To LoveYesterday 12:17pm
- TVFour curious things we've learned about the stars on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 10:42am
- TVThe first trailer for Married at First Sight NZ has been released and it's utter chaos
Now To LoveYesterday 9:48am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan and Prince Harry jet off on another family holiday to the south of France
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- FamilyWhy Karl Burnett is hoping to be voted off Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayYesterday 8:30am