Police are hunting for the mother of a baby who was found dead in South Auckland this morning.
A member of the public found the baby while walking through the reserve on Moa Ave in Mangere Bridge at about 8.30am Thursday.
Equator Dausso, 30, who works next door, picked flowers and said a prayer while he was on his lunch break in the park this afternoon.
He told the New Zealand Herald that he felt very emotional, especially as he’s a father of five.
“It just shocked me,” he told the paper. “I came down to say a little prayer.”
Another worker from the area, Uaa Meti, said it had sent chills down their spine, to know that something so tragic had happened so nearby.
Some local residents speculated that the mother may have been “young and desperate,” who didn’t know how to deal with new motherhood.
And although most seemed to agree it was a quiet area, local mother of four Melanie Kieenan said of the reserve: “if you want to commit a crime that’s the place to go.”
Police said they are waiting to confirm details, but that the baby was potentially a newborn at the time of its death.
"We have serious concerns for the well-being of the baby's mother and our initial focus will be on identifying who she is," said Detective Senior Sergeant Karen Bright.
She added that anyone who wished to speak with the police could do so in confidence, as their main concern is the welfare of the mother.
“Anyone who wishes to speak with police can call Counties Manukau Crime Squad on (09) 261 1321 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111,” said Bright.
- RoyalsThe Cambridges are set to visit Ireland as the Sussexes return to the UK
Now To LoveToday 3:00pm
- PetsIt's getting hot in here: Expert advice on caring for your pet over summer
Now To LoveToday 2:00pm
- Married at First SightMarried At First Sight Australia 2019 stars: Where are they now?
Now To LoveToday 10:00am
- CareerWhy Judy Bailey's latest project had everyone thinking she was getting inked
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:40am
- CareerWhy Laura Dern deserves every acting award she gets!
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:31am
- Married at First SightMarried At First Sight bride Poppy Jennings' unexpected exit: what really went on
Now To LoveYesterday 8:55pm
- RoyalsPrince William reveals the unexpected activity the Cambridge children tried over the school break
Now To LoveYesterday 3:35pm
- BodyThis Kiwi mum lost a staggering 65kg in a year but says she will always miss her old size
Woman's DayYesterday 2:15pm
- RoyalsThe internet thinks The Sussexes just made a subtle dig at Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie
Now To LoveYesterday 12:50pm
- BodyWhy acupuncture could be the pathway to a healthier body and menstrual cycle
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 8:40am
- TVChelsea Winter's former husband Michael Bullot opens up about kids and marriage
Now To LoveFeb 23, 2020
- FamilyArt and Matilda Green open up about becoming parents and why they're keeping it real on social media
Good Health ChoicesFeb 23, 2020
- MindDo you have FOBO? Why the fear of better options could be fuel for anxiety
Good Health ChoicesFeb 22, 2020
- FamilyA mum's worst nightmare: 'I saw my son floating lifeless'
Woman's DayFeb 22, 2020