The traditional 20th anniversary present is china. But one husband gave his wife something much more romantic as they marked their milestone term together – his kidney.
Cindy Chafian suffers from polycystic kidney disease, and has been on dialysis for two years.
After multiple surgeries, Cindy has only gotten more and more sick, as her husband Scott watched helplessly.
Speaking to CNN the devoted husband said it was “devastating” to watch his wife go through so much. So for their 20th wedding anniversary, the American decided to offer up his kidney.
Despite having already offered his wife the organ six years prior, Cindy was unable to accept it. But after her health took a turn for the worse, she said rock bottom prompted her to take it.
"He called me and he told me that everything was a go. He gave me a date [for the operation] and that was the first time I allowed myself any emotion and I actually cried," Cindy told the network.
Cindy and Scott’s family have set up a gofundme page to help with the cost of the op and their recovery, during which time neither of the pair will be able to work.
Cindy says she couldn’t think of a better gift than a chance at a better life.
“He powers me in so many ways ... he is literally going to give me life. So it's an amazing gift."
- MoneyMoney expert Mary Holm reveals how much money you really need in the bank when you retire - and it's not as much as you think
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 12:10pm
- RoyalsFlower arranging and cute cookies: Inside Duchess Meghan's gorgeous baby shower
Now To LoveToday 10:00am
- BodyKiwi teen's bizarre diagnosis: 'You have a plant growing in your ear'
Now To LoveToday 8:20am
- RoyalsWho are all the celebrity guests at Duchess Meghan's baby shower?
Now To LoveYesterday 3:00pm
- Parenting NewsZoe Marshall urges: don't kiss other people's babies on the mouth
Now To LoveYesterday 1:31pm
- RoyalsBeyonce and JAY-Z just made a surprising tribute to Duchess Meghan in their Brit Awards acceptance speech
Now To LoveYesterday 12:05pm
- Celebrity NewsCoro Street's new bad girl - Connie Hyde reveals what it's like playing Sally's sister Gina
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:22am
- TVSir David Attenborough the legend: how he's still producing groundbreaking TV series at age 92
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- RoyalsSerena Williams joins Duchess Meghan for a night out in New York City
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- Married at First SightMAFS' Elizabeth and Bronson speak out about the developing affair between Sam and Ines
Now To LoveYesterday 8:00am
- Celebrity NewsLady Gaga has called off her engagement to Christian Carino
Now To LoveFeb 20, 2019