Aniya Wolf, who goes to Bishop McDevitt High School, wanted to wear a tux rather than a dress to her senior prom.
Never one for girly clothes, the teen told ABC News: “I was always more masculine. You wouldn’t catch me playing with any Barbie dolls, I’ll tell you that right now.”
And when Aniya tried to get into her Catholic school prom, she was sent a message at the last minute to say she would have to wear a dress to be admitted.
The message read: “Good afternoon, Mrs. Wolf, I wanted to provide a copy of the email that I sent out to all of the students on March 9th. I am sure that it is very upsetting to hear today that Aniya’s attire will not be admitted. I did want you to know, that if she chooses not to come, we will certainly refund her ticket money, although I am sure that is not much consolation. I am so sorry to be the bearer of such disappointing news.”
Aniya did still attempt to attend the prom, but she was kicked out and told the police would be called if she didn’t leave the premises.
Her school addressed the issue in a statement, where they said they established the dress code months ago.
“The dress code for the prom specified girls must wear formal dresses. It also stated that students who failed to follow the dress code would not be admitted.
"The full dress code policy was sent to parents about three months ago. A reminder was sent to all students on March 6. On Friday afternoon, when it was brought to the attention of the school administration that a female student was planning to wear a tuxedo, we contacted her mother in hopes we could resolve the situation.
"It's important to note that students who haven't adhered to the dress code in past years haven't been admitted to the prom.
"Bishop McDevitt will continue to practice acceptance and love for all of our students. They are tremendous young men and women. We simply ask that they follow the rules that we have put into place.”
But since the youngster’s story went viral, Aniya has been inundated with support from well-wishers.
Another high school in the area even invited her to join their prom later in May.
- FamilyJacinda Ardern reveals who Neve gets her 'strong will' from
Now To LoveToday 10:42am
- TVMy Kitchen Rules' Piper breaks her silence on her relationship with Victor
Now To LoveToday 10:00am
- BodyHayley Holt opens up about how sobriety has made her braver and stronger
Good Health ChoicesToday 8:30am
- Pregnancy & BirthSamantha Hayes excitedly announces the gender of her baby
Now To LoveYesterday 12:00pm
- Diet & NutritionThe truth about coconut oil: Is it actually as good for us as we've been told?
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 10:00am
- CareerMean Mums' Morgana O'Reilly gets candid about her school days
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 9:23am
- FamilyHow to get your children off the screens and out into the sunshine
Good Health ChoicesJul 20, 2019
- CareerHow Louise Stainthorpe went from stay at home mum to 'badass businesswoman'
Woman's DayJul 19, 2019
- Married at First SightMAFS' Tamara Joy has hooked up with the brother of a fellow MAFS bride
Now To LoveJul 19, 2019
- FitnessCommon mistakes to avoid when you're working out for weight loss
Good Health ChoicesJul 19, 2019
- RoyalsThe very unusual way Duchess Camilla just celebrated her 72nd birthday
Now To LoveJul 18, 2019
- TVThe Block NZ's Lisa and Ribz fire back at the 'harsh and nasty' judges
Woman's DayJul 18, 2019
- CareerQueen of tiny: Why I love recreating everything I see in miniature
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJul 18, 2019