Shot put superstar Valerie Adams has just announced she is pregnant, and will be celebrating the arrival of her new bundle of joy in October.
The exciting news comes just four days after the double-Olympics champion was anointed the youngest Dame in New Zealand history for her services to athletics.
Adams shared her baby news on social media this morning, posting a sweet picture of three shot put balls, including a very small one, alongside a white custom-printed onesie that read “Baby Adams-Price October 2017”.
She captioned the cute snap: “We have a shot ready for when you arrive in October little one. Love from your Mum and Dad to be.”
The 32-year-old, who married her sweetheart Gabriel Price last April in a small Mormon ceremony at Temple View in Hamilton, revealed in an earlier interview with Woman’s Day a between-games baby was a possibility.
At this stage she’s signed on for the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games, but an appearance at the 2020 Toyko Olympics is yet to be confirmed.
In her interview with The New Zealand Herald Adams says her and Price are thrilled to be celebrating the news.
“We couldn’t be happier. I’ve always wanted to be a mum. This is bigger for me than any gold medal.”
Although Adams is nearly half-way through her pregnancy, she’d kept the news a closely guarded secret “just in case”.
"Gabe and I kept it between us for a very long time. I kind of freaked out a little bit because when you find out you start reading loads of things - and your brain naturally registers all the bad stuff.
“But to finally tell people, that's really fun. We can relax a bit and start enjoying it."
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine reveals Prince Louis has started talking
Now To LoveToday 9:20am
- BodyHer sister's keeper: Brave battler Eva Mitchell's unbreakable sibling bond
Woman's DayToday 4:40pm
- MakeupHow to find a foundation that matches your skin perfectly
Now To LoveToday 3:10pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine shares her family’s secret for picking the best Christmas tree
Now To LoveToday 11:55am
- CareerChristmas horoscopes: What's in store for you this festive season
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 8:15am
- CareerTina Turner reflects on her roller coaster life and the peace that has come with retirement
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:00am
- CareerSocial media parody queen Celeste Barber on unexpected fame and where she draws the line
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 8:00am
- CompetitionsWin a wireless headphone prizepack thanks to JBL and The Australian Women's Weekly
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 7:00am
- RelationshipsYellow Wiggle Emma Watkins has a new boyfriend - and she didn't have to go far to find him
Now To LoveYesterday 4:26pm
- Diet & NutritionHere are five health foods we’re set to be eating more of in 2020
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- Career'I wasn't expecting that': New podcast explores tricky issues for women in 40s and 50s
Now To LoveYesterday 3:00pm
- FamilyNZ's smallest couple: Meet our Christmas miracle baby
Woman's DayYesterday 9:30am
- RoyalsBuckingham Palace responds to Virginia Roberts' claims about Prince Andrew
Now To LoveDec 03, 2019