Shot put superstar Valerie Adams has just announced she is pregnant, and will be celebrating the arrival of her new bundle of joy in October.
The exciting news comes just four days after the double-Olympics champion was anointed the youngest Dame in New Zealand history for her services to athletics.
Adams shared her baby news on social media this morning, posting a sweet picture of three shot put balls, including a very small one, alongside a white custom-printed onesie that read “Baby Adams-Price October 2017”.
She captioned the cute snap: “We have a shot ready for when you arrive in October little one. Love from your Mum and Dad to be.”
The 32-year-old, who married her sweetheart Gabriel Price last April in a small Mormon ceremony at Temple View in Hamilton, revealed in an earlier interview with Woman’s Day a between-games baby was a possibility.
At this stage she’s signed on for the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games, but an appearance at the 2020 Toyko Olympics is yet to be confirmed.
In her interview with The New Zealand Herald Adams says her and Price are thrilled to be celebrating the news.
“We couldn’t be happier. I’ve always wanted to be a mum. This is bigger for me than any gold medal.”
Although Adams is nearly half-way through her pregnancy, she’d kept the news a closely guarded secret “just in case”.
"Gabe and I kept it between us for a very long time. I kind of freaked out a little bit because when you find out you start reading loads of things - and your brain naturally registers all the bad stuff.
“But to finally tell people, that's really fun. We can relax a bit and start enjoying it."
- RoyalsDid Prince William just accidentally reveal his nickname for Princess Charlotte?
Now To LoveToday 12:30pm
- RoyalsAll the times Prince Louis looked just like his big brother Prince George
Now To LoveToday 10:25am
- FamilyA foster family's heartbreak as the young man they took in as a baby develops more and more serious health problems
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:22am
- CompetitionsWin a 6 months’ supply of ChildLife vitamins and supplements for a healthy winter
Good Health ChoicesToday 8:00am
- Diet & NutritionLow calorie and dairy-free ice creams that'll satisfy all your frozen dessert cravings
Now To LoveYesterday 2:30pm
- RoyalsRoyal wedding 2019: The official photos from Lady Gabriella Windsor's wedding have just been released
Now To LoveYesterday 12:30pm
- FamilyAmy Schumer is 'mom-shamed' for returning to work two weeks after having her baby
Now To LoveYesterday 12:05pm
- BodyFrom losing 100kg to gaining a wife: Auckland man Brad Wheeler's incredible weight-loss journey
Woman's DayYesterday 11:45am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine looks pretty in pink at the latest Buckingham Palace Garden Party
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am
- TVOur top three moments from Dancing With The Stars, week six
Now To LoveMay 21, 2019
- FamilyGemma McCaw on navigating the first few months of motherhood
Woman's DayMay 21, 2019
- BodyMeet the inspiring Kiwi mum who battled bowel cancer while pregnant
Woman's DayMay 21, 2019