Green Party co-leader James Shaw has opened up about life with two mothers, revealing to Woman’s Day the moment his biological mum came out as a lesbian.
Abandoned by James’ dad just before she was due to give birth, solo mother Cynthia Shaw later fell in love with fellow teacher Susanne Jungersen while they were working at the same school. She told her son when he was 12.
James, 44, remembers, “She let me know what was going on and I just shrugged my shoulders. I knew Susanne as one of a fun group of teachers who’d always break out a guitar for singalongs, but I had my own regular teen angst to get on with.”
After James unsuccessfully ran for the Wellington City Council at the tender age of 18, Cynthia and Susanne banned from James from a career in politics, but he entered Parliament in 2014 and was voted Green Party co-leader, alongside Metiria Turei, the next year.
With the September 23 election almost upon us, James’ two mums are now his biggest supporters. Susanne tells us, “All of the Greens’ policies have become mainstream – they’re so sane and urgent, they need to be adopted. It’s a mass movement. The tipping point is very close.”
For the full story and all the gorgeous photos, see the latest issue of Woman’s Day.
- MindThe world I discovered when I came off my anti-depressants
Now To LoveToday 9:00am
- MindFrom dating apps to social media - how to have a healthy relationship with your phone
Good Health ChoicesToday 10:00am
- FamilyAt home with Dame Valerie Adams and her 'lucky last' baby Kepaleli
Woman's DayToday 7:55am
- FamilyWhy, at 84, Sir Michael Parkinson is allowing his son to turn the tables and interview him on stage
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 12:00pm
- Diet & NutritionThe Mediterranean Diet: Is this the healthiest diet ever?
- FamilyThe Topp Twins on their absolute joy at having a baby in the family
Now To LoveYesterday 10:41am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight NZ brides share their body positivity secrets
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- CareerMeet NEXT magazine's Woman Of The Year 2019 Winners
NEXTOct 11, 2019
- Mind‘I’m forever in your debt’: James Middleton shares an emotional tribute on Instagram
Now To LoveOct 11, 2019
- TVThe Bachelor Australia's Abbie Chatfield's heartbreaking abortion confession
Now To LoveOct 11, 2019
- MoneyJo Seagar gives her top tips on how to stay calm and solvent over Christmas
The Australian Women's WeeklyOct 11, 2019
- TVThe new Masterchef Australia judges have been announced - and the choices are surprising
Now To LoveOct 10, 2019