Dunedin's Cadbury factory has ended its production in New Zealand.
The factory had been operational for 150 years and the closure leaves at least 350 of its workers without jobs.
James Kane, spokesperson for Mondelez International, the owner of Cadbury, is hoping to increase the number of full time jobs at Cadbury World.
Mondelez is set to invest $7m into the popular tourist attraction, which will be relocated to the Castle Street Old Dairy.
"We thought long and hard about what would be appropriate in 2018 following the closure of the Dunedin factory, and sought feedback from the local team and community stakeholders," he told RNZ.
"We believe a calendar of events associated with Cadbury World is the best way to continue to engage the local community, attract visitors from outside Dunedin, and raise funds for our community partners."
The final product made at the factory was a batch of Pineapple Lumps, with 30 people involved in the production.
Mondelez did seek out a potential new manufacturer for the factory.
"Unfortunately, we only received one formal response to the RFP documents from a local supplier that was interested in manufacturing the full portfolio of Kiwi products in New Zealand," Kane said.
"We've worked very closely with that supplier over the last six months to try and find a way for them to take on the work, however the unique requirements of these products - particularly the marshmallow-based products - meant it simply wasn't possible."
- FamilySamantha Hayes' baby Marlow joins her on the newsdesk and all we can say is awww!
Now To LoveToday 6:40pm
- RoyalsThe Sun's executive editor Kiwi Dan Wootton on his royal scoops and tabloid career
Now To LoveToday 2:45pm
- BodyWhy we should all be exercising our pelvic floor muscles every day
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 10:00am
- RoyalsPrince Harry asks to simply be called ‘Harry’ during his first engagement since moving to Canada
Now To LoveYesterday 11:50am
- RoyalsThere has been a coronavirus scare at Prince George and Princess Charlotte’s school in London
Now To LoveYesterday 10:05am
- WeddingsHappily ever after: Meet the Kiwi bride who has married herself
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:21am
- FamilyShe was my escape: Taylor Swift's heartbreak over her mum's health scare
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:09am
- WeddingsRebekah Palmer's dreamy summer wedding was a day full of surprises
Woman's DayYesterday 8:15am