It's almost the end of cage eggs in New Zealand as we know it.
FreshChoice and SuperValue have announced they are phasing out cage eggs and will only sell free range eggs by 2025.
Countdown also announced the same commitment last year.
The three supermarkets are all owned by Progressive Enterprise.
"We are pleased to be working with our suppliers towards offering only cage-free eggs in the near future," said Kiri Hannifin, general manager of corporate affairs at Countdown.
Hannifin also said the decision for Fresh Choice and Super Value to go cage-free was delayed as they needed to ensure "surety of supply with different egg suppliers".
Animal rights' campaigners SAFE said this was a "pivotal moment in history".
"Now all the major supermarkets have decided to go cage-egg-free, the market for such cruel products is decreasing to the point that the egg industry will be rethinking any decision to build new colony cages," SAFE's Mandy Carter said.
Foodstuffs, which own Pak 'n Save and New World, have committed to being cage-free by 2027.
- FamilyThe Kiwi mum who couldn't find a decent parenting book so wrote one herself
Now To LoveToday 8:30pm
- BodyThe simple way to treat ageing skin concerns at home
Now To LoveToday 4:40pm
- TVCarolyn Taylor's epiphany since her return to TV on Dancing With The Stars
Woman's DayToday 2:00pm
- BodyThese common myths about sleep could be compromising your health
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- BodyEverything you need to know about measles and how to beat the disease
Woman's DayToday 7:00am
- FitnessHow our body clocks influence how effectively we exercise
Now To LoveToday 6:00am
- FamilyEight foodie road trip adventures that your family will love
Now To LoveYesterday 5:00pm
- Diet & NutritionIs margarine actually bad for you? Four myths busted
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- At homeHow the right retirement village enabled mum to be mum again
Now To LoveYesterday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's stunning wildlife photography is revealed in celebration of Earth Day
Now To LoveYesterday 11:31am
- RoyalsNew house, new baby, new continent? Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan look set to be moving to Africa
Now To LoveYesterday 9:25am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight NZ's Dan and Yuki: 'We're more in love than ever'
Woman's DayYesterday 9:20am
- RoyalsHow the Royal Family spent the day on the Queen’s 93rd birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- CareerThe Kiwi couple who are making comfy prosthetic breasts
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- At homeWhy a magazine subscription is the perfect gift for you or someone you love
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am