Before we get to your secrets, can you tell us how you met?
How soon after you met did you marry?
What have been some of the high points in your relationship?
What have been some challenges you've overcome in your marriage?
And now the big question: what are your secrets to a long and happy marriage?
- Do something nice for each other every day and try to put each other first no matter how busy you are. John cooks a poached egg for me every day, no matter how he feels. At times it has been a real effort for him because he has been so sick, but he just loves to do it. He tells me how he loves me every day, not just once or twice but all the time. These are the things that make a marriage, the caring and looking after each other.
- Don't sulk and hold onto grudges. Communication is important.
- Let things go that aren't so important - and for the things that are, discuss them and come to a decision that you're both happy with. We talk calmly; we try and respect each other's differences and we don't involve other people who may take sides. Saying sorry is important as well as forgiveness.
- Try not to be boring, surprises are always nice, lots of laughter, being happy.
- Support each other and build one another up as a person.
- Work on your marriage every day. Marriage is showing a caring, forgiving heart, and loving each other no matter what your differences are. Lots of compromise is needed by both partners. You need to know each other's strengths and weaknesses and forgive each other.
- Never go to sleep without a kiss, even if you've had a disagreement during the day.
- Celebrate your love and cherish each other.
- Accept each other, warts and all.
- Be happy with what you have.
- Don't let other things interfere with your marriage e.g. work, recreation, hobbies.
- Work together and do things together.
- Don't compete with other people's marriages.