Singer Barry Manilow has spoken publicly about being gay for the first time, and told fans why he kept his relationship with manager (and husband) Garry Kief private for almost 40 years.
The legendary crooner spoke to People about his sexuality for the first time, saying he didn’t want to “disappoint” female fans.
In 2015, news of his marriage to long-time manager Kief made headlines, something Manilow says was both a “blessing and a curse.”
"I thought I would be disappointing them (fans) if they knew I was gay. So I never did anything."
"When they found out that Garry and I were together, they (the fans) were so happy. The reaction was beautiful - strangers commenting 'Great for you!' I'm just so grateful for it," he told People.
Manilow and Kief had been together for years before marrying quietly in Palm Springs, California. They met in 1978, shortly after Manilow had hit the big time with romantic ballads like Mandy and Looks Like We Made It.
"We've been together all these years. Everybody knows that we're a team. Everybody that I know knows. So it never really dawned on me to say anything about it. I mean, I'm a very private guy," he concluded.
- TVThe 10 most memorable entrances on The Bachelorette
Now To LoveToday 9:10pm
- FitnessRunning just once a week lowers your risk of early death - here's how to get started
Good Health ChoicesToday 10:00am
- CareerMeet Christine Fernyhough - the intrepid Auckland housewife who took on a high country farm and won
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 10:00am
- RelationshipsJay-Jay Feeney dishes on her sizzling summer with her 'toyboy' Minou
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- MindHilary Barry's perfect clap back at a viewer: ‘Enough with the age-shaming’
Now To LoveJan 24, 2020
- Diet & NutritionDiet and ‘detox’ teas have been pulled from New Zealand shelves
Now To LoveJan 23, 2020
- CareerNigella Lawson's new direction at 60: 'I feel so much more open to anything and everything'
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJan 23, 2020
- WeddingsIt's love-all for tennis star Michael Venus as he marries the mother of his child
Woman's DayJan 23, 2020