Love notes written in the steamed-up bathroom mirror, enormous bouquets of flowers delivered to your work, poetry. Sure they're romantic and sweet gestures, but call us hardened and cynical - they're also just a little bit naff.
And when these gestures are few and far between - with you not feeling appreciated the other 362 days of the year - they don't count for much. It's the day-to-day stuff that speaks romance - the devil, as they say, is in the detail.
Psychologist Dr Ruth Jillings backs our theory:
"It's easy to pull a rabbit out of the hat every once in a while and wow someone with your thoughtfulness, but it's the daily small gestures of support that count. You need to feel from your partner that they've got your back."
With that in mind, we've collated a list of signs that we think truly demonstrate a person's love and affection for you:
1. They give up the comfy seat in the restaurant for you and sit on the hard wooden chair.
2. They occupy the kids on the morning of your birthday so you can have a lie in.
3. They let you win an argument – even when they know you’re wrong.
4. They sit through chick flicks with you – even when they’d rather be watching the rugby.
5. They wash the floors every Saturday morning because they know housework is a joint effort.
6. They restock your favourite wine when you’ve had a rough day.
7. They know how you like your tea.
8. They save your name as something cute in their phone.
9. They eat the pickle in your burger.
10. They give you the last piece of chocolate, even though they know it's you that's eaten most of it.
- WeddingsDying bride's perfect day: My final dream has come true
Woman's DayToday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's trick to beating a heatwave? ‘Budgie smugglers’, he says
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- TVWhat drove these celebs to sign up for Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayToday 12:35pm
- Pregnancy & BirthWhy model Ashley Graham's baby bump photo has got everyone talking
Now To LoveToday 12:07pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine honours this lucky nine-year-old to celebrate World Photography Day
Now To LoveToday 11:15am
- CareerI loved him like a son: Phil Kingsley Jones remembers Jonah Lomu in his final years
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:29am
- TVMatty McLean says he's lived some of his proudest moments on Celebrity Treasure Island
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:09am
- TVThe redemption of former All Black Zac Guildford on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 8:45pm
- TVKarl Burnett quits Celebrity Treasure Island as mental health suffers
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30pm
- Married at First SightMAFS' Cyrell Paule is expecting a baby with Love Island's Eden Dally
Now To LoveYesterday 1:21pm
- Pregnancy & BirthAll the gorgeous details from Samantha Hayes’ 'beautiful' baby shower
Now To LoveYesterday 12:17pm
- TVFour curious things we've learned about the stars on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 10:42am
- TVThe first trailer for Married at First Sight NZ has been released and it's utter chaos
Now To LoveYesterday 9:48am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan and Prince Harry jet off on another family holiday to the south of France
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- FamilyWhy Karl Burnett is hoping to be voted off Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayYesterday 8:30am