Online auction site TradeMe has announced that is banning the sale of pugs and English and French bulldogs.
In a statement, the company said the three breeds of dog suffer from a condition called Brachycephalic Obstructive Airway Syndrome (BOAS).
BOAS affects the ability for these breeds to breathe properly due to their flat faces and exaggerated features.
The ban, which also includes purebreds and crossbreeds, comes in to effect on March 1.
The New Zealand Veterinary Association has said that many of these dogs "live in continued states of distress."
A 2015 study found that 75% of French bulldogs showed "chaotic" breathing patterns brought on by airway obstruction. In another study, 50% of pugs failed a simple walking exercise test, with 11% unable to withstand even the brief 11-minute task.
"This is not a decision we've made lightly, as we know how popular and well loved these breeds are, however we cannot in good conscience allow the sale of these animals any further," TradeMe spokesman James Ryan said.
The company had consulted with the SPCA, New Zealand Veterinary Association and the Ministry of Primary Industries among others about the issue.
Adoption of the breeds would still be allowed but it was clamping down on breeders selling these dogs.
TradeMe has also called on the Government to consider regulatory intervention on the sale of the three breeds.
- BodyThese common myths about sleep could be compromising your health
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- BodyEverything you need to know about measles and how to beat the disease
Woman's DayToday 7:00am
- FitnessHow our body clocks influence how effectively we exercise
Now To LoveToday 6:00am
- Family8 foodie road trip adventures that your family will love
Now To LoveYesterday 5:00pm
- Diet & NutritionIs margarine actually bad for you? Four myths busted
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- At homeHow the right retirement village enabled mum to be mum again
Now To LoveYesterday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's stunning wildlife photography is revealed in celebration of Earth Day
Now To LoveYesterday 11:31am
- RoyalsNew house, new baby, new continent? Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan look set to be moving to Africa
Now To LoveYesterday 9:25am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight NZ's Dan and Yuki: 'We're more in love than ever'
Woman's DayYesterday 9:20am
- RoyalsHow the Royal Family spent the day on the Queen’s 93rd birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- CareerThe Kiwi couple who are making comfy prosthetic breasts
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- At homeWhy a magazine subscription is the perfect gift for you or someone you love
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am
- CareerAnnabelle White's recipe to living a happy, contented life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 8:42am
- FamilyFamily meal inspiration: Jo Seagar's 'loaves and fishes' approach to family meals
The Australian Women's WeeklyApr 22, 2019
- MindWhy travel memories play an important part in helping to develop our personality
Good Health ChoicesApr 22, 2019
- TVDancing With The Stars' Manu Vatuvei's biggest fear when it comes to the dance floor
Woman's DayApr 22, 2019