This is one means of public transport we’re definitely on board with. It’s a train - and a café - and there are cats galore on it!
The world’s first "Cat Café Train" took its maiden voyage on the weekend, travelling between Japan’s Ogaki and Ikeno.
Inspired by the global success of "cat cafés", where one can sip a tea and snuggle up with a furry companion for an hour or two, the Cat Cafe Train is a fusion of food, fur and travel.
Passengers who bought a ticket for the Cat Café Train were given a bento box lunch, sweets and unlimited cat cuddles from around 30 felines for the entirety of their journey.
The Cat Café Train was a one-day event organised by rescue group Sanctuary (also behind the cat cafés in the Gifu Prefecture), who aim to raise awareness of stray cats in Japan. Each of the cats hitching a ride on the train were rescued from shelters where they were to be put down.
When tickets went on sale for the train trip there was an overwhelming response and the event sold out in just one day. Some of the proceeds will go to support Sanctuary’s rescue cat operations.
In Japan, things are looking a little more purr-sitive for our furry friends. The number of cats in Japan admitted to shelters has dropped impressively by around 70 per cent from 2004. That has reduced the number of cats culled from 238,929 in 2004 to 45,574 in 2016.
Passengers of the Cat Café Train took to social media to share the purry love.
"Just returned from the best place on the planet, world's first cat cafe train, Yoro Tetsudo, Japan," Tweeted one man.
Cat lovers hope the Cat Cafe Train will welcome the cats (and humans) back for another ride.
Via Woman's World
- FamilyThe Kiwi mum who couldn't find a decent parenting book so wrote one herself
Now To LoveToday 8:30pm
- BodyThe simple way to treat ageing skin concerns at home
Now To LoveToday 4:40pm
- TVCarolyn Taylor's epiphany since her return to TV on Dancing With The Stars
Woman's DayToday 2:00pm
- BodyThese common myths about sleep could be compromising your health
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- BodyEverything you need to know about measles and how to beat the disease
Woman's DayToday 7:00am
- FitnessHow our body clocks influence how effectively we exercise
Now To LoveToday 6:00am
- FamilyEight foodie road trip adventures that your family will love
Now To LoveYesterday 5:00pm
- Diet & NutritionIs margarine actually bad for you? Four myths busted
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- At homeHow the right retirement village enabled mum to be mum again
Now To LoveYesterday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's stunning wildlife photography is revealed in celebration of Earth Day
Now To LoveYesterday 11:31am
- RoyalsNew house, new baby, new continent? Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan look set to be moving to Africa
Now To LoveYesterday 9:25am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight NZ's Dan and Yuki: 'We're more in love than ever'
Woman's DayYesterday 9:20am
- RoyalsHow the Royal Family spent the day on the Queen’s 93rd birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- CareerThe Kiwi couple who are making comfy prosthetic breasts
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- At homeWhy a magazine subscription is the perfect gift for you or someone you love
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am