Time to tell your husband to stop kicking the dog out of bed! As it turns out, the old myth that sharing a bed with your four-legged friend disrupts your sleep might just be that — only a myth. A recent study out of the Mayo Clinic in Phoenix is the perfect excuse to snuggle up with your pup under the covers tonight without a second thought.
The September 2017 research, published in Mayo Clinic Proceedings, studied 40 dogs who slept in the bedroom with their owners. Both the pups and the people participating in the study wore activity trackers that recorded whether they were at rest and sleeping or active and alert.
After seven days of testing, the researchers found that both the humans and the doggos slept reasonably well together in the same bedroom. People did sleep slightly better when the dog was off the bed, but dogs slept the same amount no matter where they snoozed in the bedroom.
The dog owners had a mean sleep efficiency — percentage of time asleep while in bed — of 81 percent. Meanwhile, their lucky puppers had a sleep efficiency of 85 percent. Considering levels at 80 percent or higher are considered satisfactory, we think it worked out pretty darn well!
That said, it's worth keeping in mind that sleeping with the dog in bed isn't necessarily for everyone. Maybe you're annoyed by waking up with fur right in your face, or maybe you have a young puppy that seems to never run out of energy when it's time to hit the hay. If you're not sure about what's right for your pet, talk to a trusted vet to figure out a good compromise.
But hey, if the dogs and people are both happy, this is one practice we can definitely get behind!
This article originally appeared on Woman's World.
- WeddingsDying bride's perfect day: My final dream has come true
Woman's DayToday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's trick to beating a heatwave? ‘Budgie smugglers’, he says
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- TVWhat drove these celebs to sign up for Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayToday 12:35pm
- Pregnancy & BirthWhy model Ashley Graham's baby bump photo has got everyone talking
Now To LoveToday 12:07pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine honours this lucky nine-year-old to celebrate World Photography Day
Now To LoveToday 11:15am
- CareerI loved him like a son: Phil Kingsley Jones remembers Jonah Lomu in his final years
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:29am
- TVMatty McLean says he's lived some of his proudest moments on Celebrity Treasure Island
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:09am
- TVThe redemption of former All Black Zac Guildford on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 8:45pm
- TVKarl Burnett quits Celebrity Treasure Island as mental health suffers
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30pm
- Married at First SightMAFS' Cyrell Paule is expecting a baby with Love Island's Eden Dally
Now To LoveYesterday 1:21pm
- Pregnancy & BirthAll the gorgeous details from Samantha Hayes’ 'beautiful' baby shower
Now To LoveYesterday 12:17pm
- TVFour curious things we've learned about the stars on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 10:42am
- TVThe first trailer for Married at First Sight NZ has been released and it's utter chaos
Now To LoveYesterday 9:48am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan and Prince Harry jet off on another family holiday to the south of France
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- FamilyWhy Karl Burnett is hoping to be voted off Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayYesterday 8:30am