Time to tell your husband to stop kicking the dog out of bed! As it turns out, the old myth that sharing a bed with your four-legged friend disrupts your sleep might just be that — only a myth. A recent study out of the Mayo Clinic in Phoenix is the perfect excuse to snuggle up with your pup under the covers tonight without a second thought.
The September 2017 research, published in Mayo Clinic Proceedings, studied 40 dogs who slept in the bedroom with their owners. Both the pups and the people participating in the study wore activity trackers that recorded whether they were at rest and sleeping or active and alert.
After seven days of testing, the researchers found that both the humans and the doggos slept reasonably well together in the same bedroom. People did sleep slightly better when the dog was off the bed, but dogs slept the same amount no matter where they snoozed in the bedroom.
The dog owners had a mean sleep efficiency — percentage of time asleep while in bed — of 81 percent. Meanwhile, their lucky puppers had a sleep efficiency of 85 percent. Considering levels at 80 percent or higher are considered satisfactory, we think it worked out pretty darn well!
That said, it's worth keeping in mind that sleeping with the dog in bed isn't necessarily for everyone. Maybe you're annoyed by waking up with fur right in your face, or maybe you have a young puppy that seems to never run out of energy when it's time to hit the hay. If you're not sure about what's right for your pet, talk to a trusted vet to figure out a good compromise.
But hey, if the dogs and people are both happy, this is one practice we can definitely get behind!
This article originally appeared on Woman's World.
- SkincareThe surprising benefits of caffeine for your skin and body
Now To LoveToday 12:15pm
- BodyPerimenopause: the 'change before the change' explained
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 10:00am
- Royals25 of the best royal Christmas cards over the years
Now To LoveToday 10:00am
- FamilyIdeas for gifts that your kids can make for others this Christmas
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:16am
- Real LifeI love Christmas so much I've converted our barn into a Christmas wonderland
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:06am
- FamilyOur favourite Kiwi celebs share some of their favourite Christmas traditions
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:46am
- Pregnancy & Birth'She's the real miracle': New dad's tribute to wife after she gives birth goes viral
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- At homeEverything you need to know about living a 'low-tox' life in 2020
- At homeEntertaining with ease thanks to the latest tech products
Now To LoveYesterday 11:50am
- RoyalsTake a look back at Queen Elizabeth’s first televised Christmas message 62 years ago
Now To LoveYesterday 11:30am
- MindZac Guildford's candid confession about his battle with drugs and depression
Woman's DayYesterday 9:50am
- SkincareAcne and exfoliating: does it make your skin worse?
Now To LoveYesterday 8:00am
- RoyalsThe impact of having Sussex Royal follow you on Instagram
Now To LoveDec 10, 2019
- MakeupDo eyebrows grow back? How to regrow over plucked brows
Now To LoveDec 10, 2019