It is said that the very act of stroking a cat can calm a person down. Our blood pressure lowers, our heart rate drops and we release oxytocin, a hormone that reduces levels of the stress hormone cortisol.
Such is cats' magical hold over us, that [Blue Cross], a British charity that rescues and rehomes sick, abandoned and unwanted pets, has released a first-of-its-kind guided meditation cat video, called Karma Kitties.
The six-minute video marries the principles of mindfulness classes with cute cat video clips and the soothing sounds of purring, and was created with the help of mindfulness experts from London Mindful.
We watched it and can report we actually did feel calmer afterwards. There is nothing much cuter than a cat video, as the world will attest, and the sound of a purring cat is serenely soothing.
Before you dismiss this as complete silliness, what makes the video even more cat-tastic is the fact it features a cast of genuinely homeless cats from Blue Cross's rehoming centres, and the video is intended to raise awareness and support for Blue Cross and its furry friends, who want nothing more than a loving home.
- RoyalsInside a play date with Prince George and Princess Charlotte at Kensington Palace
Now To LoveYesterday 3:40pm
- PetsThe online pet product delivery service that just made your life easier
Now To LoveYesterday 2:00pm
- RoyalsIs this a clue that Duchess Meghan is relaunching her lifestyle blog The Tig?
Now To LoveYesterday 11:15am
- CareerFrom Shortland Street to water births: Katherine McRae's new focus
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:09am
- RoyalsNew book details the lives of the photographers who captured the royals behind closed doors
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- FamilyNadene Lomu's tearful confession: Pushed to breaking point after Jonah's death
Woman's DayYesterday 7:45am
- EntertainmentWoman's Day Bonds X-Temp hottest media hunk has been crowned
Woman's DaySep 16, 2019
- TVThe top five moments from Celebrity Treasure Island this week
Now To LoveSep 15, 2019
- CareerHelen Mirren on why being old is 'cool' and marriage is great
The Australian Women's WeeklySep 15, 2019