- Are your cleaning products green? It’s hard to know without a full ingredients list, which most don’t have. Find out the ingredients by calling the manufacturer, and if you aren’t familiar with something, ask them to tell you. Some so-called “green” products hide information behind loose terms such as “surfactants”
- You have the right to know what is in the products you buy. When companies recognise that right by disclosing all the ingredients, show your support by buying their products
- Do you need all those bottles and sprays? Most homes can be safely cleaned with a few non-toxic items: white vinegar (it’s antibacterial), baking soda, water, microfibre mops – and some elbow grease! Skip laundry products you don’t need, such as fabric softener, chlorine bleach and mould spray.
- 3 cups water
- ¾ cup liquid soap (I use Dr Bronner’s castile liquid soap)
- 3 drops peppermint essential oil
- Put all the ingredients in a blender and run until it foams.
- Rub foam into carpet with a damp sponge, leave to dry, then vacuum.