When Dominic Bowden was living the high life in Los Angeles, the state of the property market back home in New Zealand was the last thing on his mind.
Before jetting to Tinseltown almost a decade ago to pursue his career in the world’s entertainment capital, our A-list Insider and the host of The Bachelor New Zealand sold his inner-city Auckland home, leaving him with a tidy sum in the bank.
“For those 10 years I was away from home, I was purely focused on my work and really making a name for myself in LA,” explains Dom, 39, who juggled gigs as a backstage presenter on Dancing with the Stars USA and a correspondent for the E! channel.
“But for ages, I had Mum and Dad in my ear, nagging me not to fall off the property ladder back home. They strongly suggested I invest in a home in Auckland.”
In 2016, while still in California, Dom finally heeded his parents’ advice and purchased a spacious two-bedroom apartment in Herne Bay, overlooking the Waitemata Harbour.
“I bought it sight unseen,” says the TV host as he opens the doors of his luxury bachelor pad to Woman’s Day. “My brother Liam and his partner Steve found it. They called me and said, ‘This place is amazing – if you don’t buy it, we will.’
“I always thought I wanted a big home with a sprawling backyard, but an apartment really suits my lifestyle. In my line of work, I’m used to hotel-hopping and living out of suitcases, so it’s always nice to come back to a home that has a very calming effect.
“I wake up each morning to the sound of the waves, walk down to the beach for a swim in summer, then come back and eat breakfast on the deck, looking out onto the water.”
Dom’s eternally grateful to Liam, the founder of luxury handbag line Deadly Ponies, not just for finding him his dream home, but also for turning the ordinary apartment into a seaside oasis.
Before Dom returned to Aotearoa last December, his design-savvy younger brother oversaw a six-month renovation, which included a new kitchen and bathroom.
“I would get calls from Mum telling me how they’d spent their entire weekend choosing my colour palette and driving all over Auckland looking for door handles.”
The debt owed to them feels almost “insurmountable”, but the star is doing his best to repay the favour by treating Liam to lots of home-cooked meals and movie nights in front of his 50-inch TV – which even Dom agrees is a tad too big.
However, it’s not just family members who Dom is entertaining in his impressive abode. The eligible single – who confesses he’s keen to find that special someone – says his apartment is perfect for a cosy date night.
“For a while, you’d open my fridge to find a few beers and last night’s Thai takeaways, but now I’m really house-proud and love entertaining at mine,” tells Dom.
“If I had someone special over, I’d start with a delicious dinner – maybe give my Mediterranean fettuccine a whirl – and end the night curled up watching a movie.
“For the first time in a long time, it feels like I have my own home and the thought of sharing that with someone one day is kind of exciting.”
- FamilyThe Kiwi mum who couldn't find a decent parenting book so wrote one herself
Now To LoveToday 8:30pm
- BodyThe simple way to treat ageing skin concerns at home
Now To LoveToday 4:40pm
- TVCarolyn Taylor's epiphany since her return to TV on Dancing With The Stars
Woman's DayToday 2:00pm
- BodyThese common myths about sleep could be compromising your health
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- BodyEverything you need to know about measles and how to beat the disease
Woman's DayToday 7:00am
- FitnessHow our body clocks influence how effectively we exercise
Now To LoveToday 6:00am
- FamilyEight foodie road trip adventures that your family will love
Now To LoveYesterday 5:00pm
- Diet & NutritionIs margarine actually bad for you? Four myths busted
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- At homeHow the right retirement village enabled mum to be mum again
Now To LoveYesterday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's stunning wildlife photography is revealed in celebration of Earth Day
Now To LoveYesterday 11:31am
- RoyalsNew house, new baby, new continent? Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan look set to be moving to Africa
Now To LoveYesterday 9:25am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight NZ's Dan and Yuki: 'We're more in love than ever'
Woman's DayYesterday 9:20am
- RoyalsHow the Royal Family spent the day on the Queen’s 93rd birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- CareerThe Kiwi couple who are making comfy prosthetic breasts
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- At homeWhy a magazine subscription is the perfect gift for you or someone you love
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am