Plastic-free was the environmental buzzword of 2018 and Green Party MP Chlöe wants to make sure the message is not forgotten in the last-minute Christmas madness.
"We should be thinking about our impact on the planet at all times, but at Christmas in particular, there's so much waste generated from packaging and presents," tells the passionate politician, who became New Zealand's youngest MP in 42 years when she entered Parliament last year at age 24.
"Get creative with gifts because, at the end of the day, it's the thought that really counts – it's not about buying a tonne of stuff. We can use leftover newspaper or upcycle old paper, and gift a plant, a reusable Keep Cup or an experience like a holiday!"
After her first year in the Beehive, Chlöe is looking forward to a break and certainly understands how the environment can often be an afterthought during the hectic festive schedule.
"It's one of those conversations that isn't on the table because we're just all so busy and then we jump in the car to go to the mall. It's important to take a step back and think about the meaning of Christmas."
- RoyalsInside a play date with Prince George and Princess Charlotte at Kensington Palace
Now To LoveToday 3:40pm
- PetsThe online pet product delivery service that just made your life easier
Now To LoveToday 2:00pm
- RoyalsIs this a clue that Duchess Meghan is relaunching her lifestyle blog The Tig?
Now To LoveToday 11:15am
- CareerFrom Shortland Street to water births: Katherine McRae's new focus
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:09am
- RoyalsNew book details the lives of the photographers who captured the royals behind closed doors
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:00am
- FamilyNadene Lomu's tearful confession: Pushed to breaking point after Jonah's death
Woman's DayToday 7:45am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight NZ brides share the details on their wedding dresses
Woman's DayYesterday 4:45pm
- TVThe one thing Jodie Rimmer did on Celebrity Treasure Island that her children made her apologise for
Woman's DayYesterday 8:55am
- At homeThe sensitive skin laundry hack that makes your clothes soft and speeds up drying time
Now To LoveYesterday 8:24am
- EntertainmentWoman's Day Bonds X-Temp hottest media hunk has been crowned
Woman's DayYesterday 8:21am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan shares an adorable unseen photo from Archie’s christening for Prince Harry’s birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 8:00am
- TVThe top five moments from Celebrity Treasure Island this week
Now To LoveSep 15, 2019
- CareerHelen Mirren on why being old is 'cool' and marriage is great
The Australian Women's WeeklySep 15, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a $500 Countdown voucher to launch your Disney Word tile collection
Woman's DaySep 15, 2019
- BodyDWTS winner Loryn Reynolds' sister can finally dance again after losing a whopping 70kg
Woman's DaySep 14, 2019