Plastic-free was the environmental buzzword of 2018 and Green Party MP Chlöe wants to make sure the message is not forgotten in the last-minute Christmas madness.
"We should be thinking about our impact on the planet at all times, but at Christmas in particular, there's so much waste generated from packaging and presents," tells the passionate politician, who became New Zealand's youngest MP in 42 years when she entered Parliament last year at age 24.
"Get creative with gifts because, at the end of the day, it's the thought that really counts – it's not about buying a tonne of stuff. We can use leftover newspaper or upcycle old paper, and gift a plant, a reusable Keep Cup or an experience like a holiday!"
After her first year in the Beehive, Chlöe is looking forward to a break and certainly understands how the environment can often be an afterthought during the hectic festive schedule.
"It's one of those conversations that isn't on the table because we're just all so busy and then we jump in the car to go to the mall. It's important to take a step back and think about the meaning of Christmas."
- FamilyAmy Schumer is 'mom-shamed' for returning to work two weeks after having her baby
Now To LoveToday 12:05pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine looks pretty in pink at the latest Buckingham Palace Garden Party
Now To LoveToday 9:00am
- TVDancing With The Stars: It's only going to get harder from here on in, says Carol-Ann Hanna
Now To LoveYesterday 2:11pm
- TVOur top three moments from Dancing With The Stars, week six
Now To LoveYesterday 11:45am
- FamilyGemma McCaw on navigating the first few months of motherhood
Woman's DayYesterday 11:20am
- BodyMeet the inspiring Kiwi mum who battled bowel cancer while pregnant
Woman's DayYesterday 11:08am
- FamilyReal Housewives of Auckland's Anne Batley-Burton on the sad secret to her business success
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 8:15am
- MindJo Seagar on the importance of talking about death
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 8:00am
- FamilyThese inspiring people are our individual 'Grandparent of the year' winners
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyMay 20, 2019
- RoyalsAnother royal wedding: All the details from Lady Gabriella Windsor’s gorgeous nuptials
Now To LoveMay 20, 2019
- TVNadia Lim admits Dancing With The Stars is 'the biggest challenge I've ever taken on'
Woman's DayMay 20, 2019