The Australian Women’s Weekly’s Children’s Birthday Cake Book has been around for almost four decades now and has officially reached cult classic status.
Why do we love it so much?
"Because the recipes look approachable. They're a bit messy, they're not styled or polished and they're just a bit of fun, which resonates with Australian families," says Pamela Clark, who worked on 60 of the cakes at the time and is currently Food Director at Bauer Books. (Bauer Media is the publisher of The Australian Women’s Weekly)
The Australian Women’s Weekly Children’s Birthday Cake Book first hit shelves in 1980 and now sits in more than a million homes around New Zealand and Australia.
Due to such a high demand for those nostalgic recipes It was re-released in 2011 because when they suddenly disappeared, many Aussies and Kiwis were forced to trawl through eBay and Trade Me to find a second-hand copy.
"The release of the vintage edition was due to me nagging my various bosses (over many years) and begging them to re-release the book," says Pamela. "We had countless requests for the reprint, despite the fact that we’d done quite a few kids cake books since 'the book with the train on the cover'."
Click through for the top 10 most iconic children's birthday cakes from The Australian Women's Weekly.
1 / 0
2 / 0
3 / 0
4 / 0
5 / 0
6 / 0
7 / 0
8 / 0
9 / 0
10 / 0
11 / 0
- Pregnancy & BirthSamantha Hayes excitedly announces the gender of her baby
Now To LoveToday 12:00pm
- Diet & NutritionThe truth about coconut oil: Is it actually as good for us as we've been told?
Good Health ChoicesToday 10:00am
- CareerMean Mums' Morgana O'Reilly gets candid about her school days
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 9:23am
- FamilyHow to get your children off the screens and out into the sunshine
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 12:00pm
- Pregnancy & BirthFear and panic followed by joy: The Edge's Chang Hung welcomes his much longed-for daughter
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- CareerHow Louise Stainthorpe went from stay at home mum to 'badass businesswoman'
Woman's DayJul 19, 2019
- FitnessCommon mistakes to avoid when you're working out for weight loss
Good Health ChoicesJul 19, 2019
- RoyalsThe very unusual way Duchess Camilla just celebrated her 72nd birthday
Now To LoveJul 18, 2019
- TVThe Block NZ's Lisa and Ribz fire back at the 'harsh and nasty' judges
Woman's DayJul 18, 2019
- CareerQueen of tiny: Why I love recreating everything I see in miniature
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJul 18, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a black and a rose gold Samsung Galaxy Watch Active worth $349 each!
Good Health ChoicesJul 18, 2019
- WeddingsBride quits job to plan her dream wedding and demands her fiancé get a second job
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019
- BodyKaty Perry and Orlando Bloom's new age secret to staying young
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019