The Australian Women’s Weekly’s Children’s Birthday Cake Book has been around for almost four decades now and has officially reached cult classic status.
Why do we love it so much?
"Because the recipes look approachable. They're a bit messy, they're not styled or polished and they're just a bit of fun, which resonates with Australian families," says Pamela Clark, who worked on 60 of the cakes at the time and is currently Food Director at Bauer Books. (Bauer Media is the publisher of The Australian Women’s Weekly)
The Australian Women’s Weekly Children’s Birthday Cake Book first hit shelves in 1980 and now sits in more than a million homes around New Zealand and Australia.
Due to such a high demand for those nostalgic recipes It was re-released in 2011 because when they suddenly disappeared, many Aussies and Kiwis were forced to trawl through eBay and Trade Me to find a second-hand copy.
"The release of the vintage edition was due to me nagging my various bosses (over many years) and begging them to re-release the book," says Pamela. "We had countless requests for the reprint, despite the fact that we’d done quite a few kids cake books since 'the book with the train on the cover'."
Click through for the top 10 most iconic children's birthday cakes from The Australian Women's Weekly.
1 / 0
2 / 0
3 / 0
4 / 0
5 / 0
6 / 0
7 / 0
8 / 0
9 / 0
10 / 0
11 / 0
- BodyRadio host Sarah Gandy has been diagnosed with breast cancer
Now To LoveToday 12:13pm
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has jetted off to New York for her baby shower
Now To LoveToday 11:36am
- FertilityTips for couples who are trying to conceive and not pregnant yet
Now To LoveToday 11:19am
- Pregnancy & BirthGemma McCaw's praise for the midwife who delivered baby Charlotte
Woman's DayToday 7:00am
- MoneyOnline shopping fails - Kiwi consumers' hilarious tales
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- Celebrity NewsHarper Beckham and Anna Wintour's priceless twinning moment
Now To LoveYesterday 2:28pm
- RoyalsPrince William and Prince Harry are reportedly splitting their royal household after 10 years together
Now To LoveYesterday 12:15pm
- RoyalsHappy Birthday Prince Andrew: 7 things you may not know about the Duke of York
Now To LoveYesterday 9:30am
- Destinations CitiesThe all-women Bali retreat that saved my soul after my fiancé left me
The Australian Women's WeeklyFeb 17, 2019
- BodyWhy Olivia Newton-John isn't letting battling cancer for the third time get her down
Good Health ChoicesFeb 17, 2019
- Married at First SightMAFS baby on board? Reports suggest this bride is already pregnant
Now To LoveFeb 17, 2019