The Australian Women’s Weekly’s Children’s Birthday Cake Book has been around for almost four decades now and has officially reached cult classic status.
Why do we love it so much?
"Because the recipes look approachable. They're a bit messy, they're not styled or polished and they're just a bit of fun, which resonates with Australian families," says Pamela Clark, who worked on 60 of the cakes at the time and is currently Food Director at Bauer Books. (Bauer Media is the publisher of The Australian Women’s Weekly)
The Australian Women’s Weekly Children’s Birthday Cake Book first hit shelves in 1980 and now sits in more than a million homes around New Zealand and Australia.
Due to such a high demand for those nostalgic recipes It was re-released in 2011 because when they suddenly disappeared, many Aussies and Kiwis were forced to trawl through eBay and Trade Me to find a second-hand copy.
"The release of the vintage edition was due to me nagging my various bosses (over many years) and begging them to re-release the book," says Pamela. "We had countless requests for the reprint, despite the fact that we’d done quite a few kids cake books since 'the book with the train on the cover'."
Click through for the top 10 most iconic children's birthday cakes from The Australian Women's Weekly.
1 / 0
2 / 0
3 / 0
4 / 0
5 / 0
6 / 0
7 / 0
8 / 0
9 / 0
10 / 0
11 / 0
- RoyalsPrince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, has died aged 99
Now To LoveApr 09, 2021
- TVPopstars panel tells all: Rock regrets, secret crushes and dad jokes!
Woman's DayApr 09, 2021
- Celebrity NewsIron Mike's magic milestone: 'I'm finally in a good space!'
Woman's DayApr 07, 2021
- TVBachelorettes' show down: Our last-ditch effort to woo Moses
Woman's DayMar 30, 2021
- TVBachelor babes bare all: 'Our lives have changed forever'
Woman's DayMar 29, 2021
- Celebrity NewsSmitten but sleep-deprived! Sam Wallace and fiancée Sarah are on double duty
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyMar 26, 2021
- Celebrity NewsKiwi stunt star Zoë Bell talks brain injuries and break-ups
Woman's DayMar 24, 2021
- TVThe Bachelorette NZ's Lexie and Hamish are moving in together!
Woman's DayMar 11, 2021
- TVHit single Moses: 'I didn't think I deserved love!'
Woman's DayMar 09, 2021
- TVHere are the queens competing in RuPaul's Drag Race Down Under
Now To LoveMar 07, 2021