A new campaign launched today is tackling the issue of equal pay for women here in New Zealand.
Despite the Equal Pay Act being passed in the '70s, today women are paid an average of $7 per hour less than their male counterparts. And based on statistics, this gap will take half a century to close.
Not content with this news, an online video campaign has been launched, starring 400 Kiwi women from all manner of industries.
Directed by Loren Taylor (of Eagle vs Shark fame), and shot by Ginny Loane, the cinematographer behind Mahana, the dance video features a whole host of New Zealand celebrities.
Starring comedian Alice Brine, actresses Miriama McDowell, Laura Hill, Jackie Van Beek and Luciane Buchanan, many famous faces have got behind the important campaign.
"New Zealand used to be a progressive country in this area," says Alice Brine.
"We’re banking on that branding. But you can’t just rely on Kate Sheppard forever. You actually have to look at the data. It’s pretty shocking. We need to live up to our standard of being the ‘progressive’ country we once were.” And Miriama McDowell, who has had roles in Mahana, Outrageous Fortune, Dark Horse, says as she acted in the vid she thought of every woman she knows who is undervalued in their work.
"My sister, my friends, my aunty, my Nana, all of the people through the generations are who we’re doing this for. We’re speaking for them and it’s a real honour."
For more details on the campaign and how you can get involved, head to Treat Her Right.
- Married at First SightMAFS' Vicky Fuller and Stefaan Nes have broken up - again
Now To LoveToday 2:18pm
- Parenting NewsGlobal study shows Kiwi teenagers are among the most inactive in the world
Now To LoveToday 1:22pm
- RoyalsThe sweet and subtle way Duchess Meghan honoured Prince Harry and baby Archie
Now To LoveToday 12:05pm
- TVMatty McLean had a huge night after winning Television Personality of the Year
Now To LoveToday 11:50am
- FitnessThe full-body workout you can do with just a park bench
Good Health ChoicesToday 9:20am
- Pregnancy & Birth'Our Halloween treat': Jessica Mutch-McKay presents her adorable baby girl to the world
Now To LoveYesterday 4:13pm
- RelationshipsMatilda Green serves cheeky burn to husband Art on social media
Now To LoveYesterday 2:40pm
- RoyalsPrince Charles says New Zealand ‘offers an example to the world’ in a heartfelt speech at Waitangi
Now To LoveYesterday 12:00pm
- CareerFive things Stephen Colbert has taught us about our own Prime Minister
Now To LoveYesterday 9:45am
- RoyalsPrince Andrew has stepped back from public royal duties for the foreseeable future
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- CareerWhat Charlie's Angels original Jaclyn Smith is up to now
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- WeddingsFormer Black Cap Simon Doull marries after a whirlwind courtship that began at a hospital bedside
Woman's DayYesterday 8:25am
- CareerA virus left me paralysed but it didn't stop me from having a career in netball
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 8:00am
- CompetitionsWin the new NutriBullet 1000W Blender Combo worth $299.99!
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 7:00am
- BodyBalcony fall survivor AJ Pouoa: 'How a night at a friend's house left me paralysed'
Woman's DayNov 20, 2019
- PetsCelebrities and their pets: Dominic Harvey and Sydney silkie Kanye
Woman's DayNov 19, 2019