Interview: Karyn Henger Videographer: Lana Byrne
There is the Jacinda Ardern BBPM (Before Becoming Prime Minister) and the Jacinda Ardern ABPM (After Becoming Prime Minister).
Both fiercely intelligent, passionate about politics and earnest about making positive change. But the latter - now also a first-time mum - is more formal and more carefully managed by her press team. She is more accountable to the New Zealand public than ever before.
In this interview, though, Jacinda allows herself to be endearingly vulnerable. She opens up about what becoming Prime Minister has taught her about herself as well as what becoming a mother has helped her understand.
After her off-the-cuff comment to a BBC reporter that she'd rather her partner Clarke Gayford ask her to marry him than the other way round, she admits she loves the tradition of marriage, despite the "fairly unconventional" life she and Clarke lead.
She admits to feeling "mother guilt" (just like the rest of us), and says she hopes that one day Neve will look back on her childhood and feel that her mum was around and there for her.
For more great videos check out our Youtube channel.
- TVOur broody Bachelorette: 'David Attenborough is my dream man'
Woman's DayJan 20, 2021
- Celebrity NewsJay-Jay Feeney and Paul Flynn: our perfect friendship
Woman's DayJan 08, 2021
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to our exclusive screening of Penguin Bloom
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 27, 2020
- Celebrity NewsRobert Rakete's Christmas plans: 'It'll be a breeze!'
Woman's DayDec 25, 2020
- Celebrity NewsJase, Toni & Sam get festive with their four-legged friends
Woman's DayDec 21, 2020
- FamilyThe Terrace at Sylvia Park - what's on offer at this new dining destination
Now To LoveDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsShortland Street's Ben Barrington and Ngahuia Piripi's Christmas celebrations
Woman's DayDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsWendy Petrie and Matty McLean's festive cheer: 'Our hearts are so full'
Woman's DayDec 15, 2020
- Celebrity NewsKanoa Lloyd and Mike McRoberts' best Christmas ever
Woman's DayDec 14, 2020
- Celebrity NewsSoon I’ll be a dad to three under three! Sam Wallace shares his hopes and fears
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 11, 2020
- Celebrity NewsCarolyn Keep's little miracle: 'The baby I never thought I'd have'
Woman's DayDec 10, 2020
- RoyalsMeghan Markle reveals she miscarried her second child in a powerful personal essay
Now To LoveNov 26, 2020
- CompetitionsWin a Farro Hamper and a double pass to Happiest Season
Now To LoveNov 25, 2020