Interview: Karyn Henger Videographer: Lana Byrne
There is the Jacinda Ardern BBPM (Before Becoming Prime Minister) and the Jacinda Ardern ABPM (After Becoming Prime Minister).
Both fiercely intelligent, passionate about politics and earnest about making positive change. But the latter - now also a first-time mum - is more formal and more carefully managed by her press team. She is more accountable to the New Zealand public than ever before.
In this interview, though, Jacinda allows herself to be endearingly vulnerable. She opens up about what becoming Prime Minister has taught her about herself as well as what becoming a mother has helped her understand.
After her off-the-cuff comment to a BBC reporter that she'd rather her partner Clarke Gayford ask her to marry him than the other way round, she admits she loves the tradition of marriage, despite the "fairly unconventional" life she and Clarke lead.
She admits to feeling "mother guilt" (just like the rest of us), and says she hopes that one day Neve will look back on her childhood and feel that her mum was around and there for her.
For more great videos check out our Youtube channel.
- TVHow winning The Block has changed Tim and Arty's lives forever
Woman's DayNov 25, 2021
- At homeBring summer into your home with this colour pallette
Now To LoveNov 25, 2021
- RoyalsAre Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank planning baby number two already?
Woman's DayNov 23, 2021
- RoyalsThe Queen’s special appearance for two of her great-grandsons after weeks of health concerns
The Australian Women's WeeklyNov 23, 2021
- Royals"She's alright!": The Queen makes her first in-person appearance since October hospital scare
The Australian Women's WeeklyNov 18, 2021
- Celebrity NewsKim Crossman's hidden heartache and why being a mum will have to wait
Woman's DayNov 18, 2021
- Food & DrinksEnjoy the taste of Provence with these refreshing rosé wines
The Australian Women's WeeklyNov 17, 2021
- Real LifeKiwi mum Rachel reveals how her premature son changed her life
Woman's DayNov 17, 2021
- RoyalsBuckingham Palace confirms the Queen will attend the annual Remembrance Day Service
Now To LoveNov 12, 2021