We often take on too much and then lose our life balance. Short term, the body can cope with added stress as the adrenaline that's released provides extra energy. However, too much long-term stress is detrimental to our health and wellbeing. Follow these self-care habits to stay more balanced:
A daily meditation practice is like a shower for the mind, and the more regularly you do it, the more balanced the mind becomes. This can simply be 5-10 minutes of practice in the morning or before bed. Any meditation is good; whether it's breath awareness, mindfulness, chanting, or even a guided meditation on an app such as Headspace.
Getting enough sleep gives you a greater ability to cope with stress. Sleep brings hormones into balance, calms the nervous system, rests the body and mind, and gives you energy to cope with life.
Disconnect from technology and avoid checking emails or Facebook in the middle of the night or when you first wake up. Set boundaries around your work time and when you are taking time off.
Exercise gives you more energy by boosting the flow of blood and endorphins around your body. It reduces stress, depression and anxiety. Aim for 20-30 minutes of exercise 3-4 times per week.
Make healthy wholefoods the foundation of your diet. Eat more wholefoods and fewer processed foods, drink adequate water, reduce caffeine, and eat regular healthy snacks to keep your sugar levels balanced and your energy levels stable.
B vitamins aid healthy brain and nervous system function and get depleted when we stress. Manage stress by taking a B complex supplement daily. Magnesium is also known to help alleviate stress and reduce anxiety.
- RoyalsThe Queen just passed on this very special patronage to Duchess Catherine
Now To LoveToday 8:30am
- TVThe Block NZ Firehouse contestants Sophia and Mikaere: 'We'll come out stronger than ever'
Woman's DayToday 8:05am
- BodyA cup of coffee a day could be the secret to burning fat
Now To LoveToday 2:00pm
- CareerThe Chicks Suzanne Lynch on nearing 70 and life being more exciting than ever
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 10:00am
- FamilyMental health advocate Mike King opens up about his daughter Alex following in his footsteps
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:41am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has upgraded her engagement ring from Prince Harry
Now To LoveToday 9:15am
- FamilyThe woman who supported Arthur Taylor through four decades in prison
Woman's DayToday 8:30am
- TVThe Block NZ Firehouse contestants Stacy and Adam's biggest challenge
Woman's DayYesterday 11:39am
- RoyalsSarah Ferguson brings to light one of the royal family's saddest tales from the past
Now To LoveYesterday 11:39am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan reveals how she made her royal wedding to Prince Harry feel ‘intimate’
Now To LoveYesterday 9:30am
- Food & DrinksCassidy in the Kitchen: Bravo NZ host Cassidy Morris's easy peanut butter cups
Now To LoveYesterday 8:47am
- RelationshipsDWTS judge Camilla Sacre-Dallerup's romantic Queenstown escape with her husband
Woman's DayYesterday 8:35am