After being diagnosed with a medical condition known as New Daily Persistent Headache syndrome, characterised by an ongoing tension-type headache - nutritionist Danijela Unkovich overhauled her lifestyle and focused on an unprocessed diet made up of whole foods.
The foodie then took to social media to shared nutritional ideas and recipes - and created the Instagram account healthyalways.
Now, Danijela has shared with us some of her top tips for eating healthy on a budget - without compromising on taste.
Add chickpeas and lentils to meals, which are not only a good source of plant-based protein, but also great for bulking up dishes. If I’m making pasta for dinner, I might halve the amount of mincemeat and add 1-2 tins of brown lentils – they pick up the flavors really well and are quite neutral tasting, so you hardly notice the difference. It also works for cottage pie or lasagna.
Frozen veges are just as good as fresh, as they’re frozen soon after they are picked and retain a high level of nutrients. Plus they’re easy to cook, and a great option when you can’t access certain foods due to the season.
This makes it easier to keep tabs on what’s getting ripe and what’s nearest its expiry date, so you aren’t forever culling forgotten items from the back of the fridge. Do regular stocktakes, and label and date items before throwing them in the freezer.
Good food is often just simple basics: fruits, veges, eggs, fish, meats, grains and legumes. The same goes with pricey powders and supplements – the key focus needs to be what we are eating most of the time, not some of the time. Getting the foundation right is the important part.
After having a roast chicken, use the carcass to make a simple chicken stock, and blitz stale bread in the food processor to make breadcrumbs. If you are struggling to finish green leafy veg before it wilts, try chopping and pressing it into ice cube trays and freezing, to make an easy base for green smoothies.
- TVOur broody Bachelorette: 'David Attenborough is my dream man'
Woman's DayJan 20, 2021
- Celebrity NewsJay-Jay Feeney and Paul Flynn: our perfect friendship
Woman's DayJan 08, 2021
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to our exclusive screening of Penguin Bloom
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 27, 2020
- Celebrity NewsRobert Rakete's Christmas plans: 'It'll be a breeze!'
Woman's DayDec 25, 2020
- Celebrity NewsJase, Toni & Sam get festive with their four-legged friends
Woman's DayDec 21, 2020
- FamilyThe Terrace at Sylvia Park - what's on offer at this new dining destination
Now To LoveDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsShortland Street's Ben Barrington and Ngahuia Piripi's Christmas celebrations
Woman's DayDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsWendy Petrie and Matty McLean's festive cheer: 'Our hearts are so full'
Woman's DayDec 15, 2020
- Celebrity NewsKanoa Lloyd and Mike McRoberts' best Christmas ever
Woman's DayDec 14, 2020
- Celebrity NewsSoon I’ll be a dad to three under three! Sam Wallace shares his hopes and fears
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 11, 2020
- Celebrity NewsCarolyn Keep's little miracle: 'The baby I never thought I'd have'
Woman's DayDec 10, 2020
- RoyalsMeghan Markle reveals she miscarried her second child in a powerful personal essay
Now To LoveNov 26, 2020
- CompetitionsWin a Farro Hamper and a double pass to Happiest Season
Now To LoveNov 25, 2020