Eating healthy and avoiding packing on the kilos can be tricky over the holiday period, which is why we've picked the brain of clinical nutritionist, naturopath and Wellness by Blair founder, Jess Blair, about all-things food.
From what to do when we've had way too many wines and need to show our liver some love to easy ways we can eat well while travelling, Jess has us covered.
Holidays are a time to relax, rewind and maybe eat a few too many of the good foods or drink too much wine! My general rule of thumb is to start the day off the same as you would at home, so a good nutritious breakfast, then if you want to add some extra treats in have them at lunch or dinner, but not both. This may not work for everyone, but you want to make sure you are still getting the nutrients you need. If you are drinking more alcohol than usual, make sure you are hydrated and having lots of greens to make sure your liver is working well too!
I LOVE trying local food, and I think whilst travelling you should too! I don't believe in travelling all the way to Italy and not trying their pasta, however it's all about moderation. Enjoy that bowl of pasta!
It isn't that certain foods shouldn't be eaten, just eat in moderation. If you want to have pancakes for breakfast, do it - just make sure the rest of your meals are as nutritious as can be. You want to feel re-energised after a holiday not exhausted and fatigued from not getting the right nutrients in!
Not counteract but getting your servings of vegetables in EVERY SINGLE DAY. Make sure you are eating or drinking your vegetables as this will help keep your liver, digestion, skin and your immunity healthy whilst travelling!
Garlic! Anything with Garlic will help boost your immune system, high probiotic foods such as kimchi, kombucha and saukerkraut and also a good probiotic will help! Drinking enough water, and getting fresh air! I always recommend still exercising on holidays, but doing something you enjoy!
Holiday drinking is very common and enjoyable too! I hardly drink but on holidays I do like a cocktail or two or a nice glass of wine! I do make sure I am getting my vegetable intake, drinking enough water and not choosing high fatty or salty foods the next day or even the night after!
Jess is a mother of two, wife, naturopath and clinical nutritionist who has recently moved from Australia to New Zealand. Her nutrition philosophy is based on helping people discover high quality nutritional foods that can be easy, convenient and delicious. You can find out more about Jess on her website.
- FamilyHow to get your children off the screens and out into the sunshine
Good Health ChoicesToday 12:00pm
- CareerHow Louise Stainthorpe went from stay at home mum to 'badass businesswoman'
Woman's DayYesterday 3:15pm
- Married at First SightYou won't believe who Married at First Sight's Tamara Joy has hooked up with now
Now To LoveYesterday 10:40am
- FitnessCommon mistakes to avoid when you're working out for weight loss
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 9:30am
- RoyalsThe very unusual way Duchess Camilla just celebrated her 72nd birthday
Now To LoveJul 18, 2019
- TVThe Block NZ's Lisa and Ribz fire back at the 'harsh and nasty' judges
Woman's DayJul 18, 2019
- CareerQueen of tiny: Why I love recreating everything I see in miniature
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJul 18, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a black and a rose gold Samsung Galaxy Watch Active worth $349 each!
Good Health ChoicesJul 18, 2019
- WeddingsBride quits job to plan her dream wedding and demands her fiancé get a second job
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019
- BodyKaty Perry and Orlando Bloom's new age secret to staying young
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019