Veganism is on the rise – The Telegraph in the UK reported last year that the number of vegans in Britain had risen by more than 350 per cent in the past decade.
It's supposedly a movement 'driven by the young' as the Guardian found that almost half of all vegans are aged between 15-34, with a small percentage (14 per cent) aged over 65.
Certainly it's a lifestyle choice that seems to be dismissed by many over 50s as 'faddy' – and there's no disputing that millennials are influenced by social media and the hotpot of 'clean eating' advice and celebrity endorsement lurking therein.
Speaking of which, there are a lot of celebrities backing the diet (frankly, it's hard to keep track of them)...
Alicia Silverstone isn't a recent convert to veganism by any stretch, having adopted the diet years ago in 1998.
She credits the switch with helping her insomnia, acne, and asthma, and told Oprah: "I used to have all those white marks on my nails and they were very brittle, and now they're so strong I cannot bend them" and "I feel like I look less puffy".
Ellen DeGeneres is a former meat eater, and she decided to overhaul her diet after watching animal-cruelty documentaries like Earthlings and Meet your Meat – she even has an entire section of her website dedicated to vegan living in which she spotlights other vegan celebrities, and features recipes by people like Bethenny Frankel.
You may have seen Netflix's What the Health, a heavily pro-vegan film co-produced by Joaquin Phoenix.
The documentary featured some pretty outlandish claims – for example, that eating an egg a day is as bad for your life expectancy as smoking five cigarettes. Possibly the most steadfast of all his vegan contemporaries, Phoenix has been living the meat/dairy/fish-free life since the age of three.
Woody Harrelson is an old timer, having done the vegan thing for over 10 years. He gave up dairy as a struggling actor in New York, having been diagnosed as lactose intolerant.
The rest followed, and now he's the proud owner of the world's first organic vegan beer garden, called Sage.
Animal-rights activist Miley has been a committed vegan since 2014. She was described as the 'Veganest Vegan to Ever Vegan' by PETA. She has a 'V' tattoo ('Vegan for life!') and pets that include a blowfish and a pig.
Actress Rooney Mara has been vegan for the past few years, as well as being gluten-free because various family members' experiences with coeliac disease.
Yikes, what does she eat? She told InStyle she mostly sticks to produce: "I basically eat only fruits and vegetables. I've never felt better than I do now".
Pamela Anderson opened a 'plant-based' eatery in the South of France earlier this year, before pulling out shortly after. She's an active PETA member and thanks her diet for keeping her trim and youthful-looking.
This article first appeared on Grazia UK.
- BodyThe simple way to treat ageing skin concerns at home
Now To LoveToday 4:40pm
- TVCarolyn Taylor's epiphany since her return to TV on Dancing With The Stars
Woman's DayToday 2:00pm
- BodyThese common myths about sleep could be compromising your health
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- BodyEverything you need to know about measles and how to beat the disease
Woman's DayToday 7:00am
- FitnessHow our body clocks influence how effectively we exercise
Now To LoveToday 6:00am
- FamilyEight foodie road trip adventures that your family will love
Now To LoveYesterday 5:00pm
- Diet & NutritionIs margarine actually bad for you? Four myths busted
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- At homeHow the right retirement village enabled mum to be mum again
Now To LoveYesterday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's stunning wildlife photography is revealed in celebration of Earth Day
Now To LoveYesterday 11:31am
- RoyalsNew house, new baby, new continent? Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan look set to be moving to Africa
Now To LoveYesterday 9:25am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight NZ's Dan and Yuki: 'We're more in love than ever'
Woman's DayYesterday 9:20am
- RoyalsHow the Royal Family spent the day on the Queen’s 93rd birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- CareerThe Kiwi couple who are making comfy prosthetic breasts
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- At homeWhy a magazine subscription is the perfect gift for you or someone you love
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am
- CareerAnnabelle White's recipe to living a happy, contented life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 8:42am