More men are choosing to have vasectomies, and fewer women are opting for tubal ligation, figures from a new study show.
The study reports a 40 per cent increase in women between the ages of 35 to 54 citing having ever relied on male vasectomy. The figure is up from 26 per cent in the mid-1980s.
Other figures show the proportion of women who have had a tubectomy fell to eight per cent from 22 per cent.
"From the findings of the current study, the prevalence of use of permanent methods of contraception (vasectomy and tubal ligation) in New Zealand has not changed in the last 30 years," the Canterbury and Otago University researchers said in The New Zealand Medical Journal.
"What has changed is a couple's choice of sterilisation procedure, such that with the fall in the prevalence of tubal ligation there is a compensatory rise in the prevalence of ever-use of vasectomy.
"The shift to vasectomy may be due to ease of performing the procedure, lower risk of complications and change in men's attitude towards sterilisation."
The survey may have under-reported the true rate of vasectomy as it relied on women’s knowledge and recall regarding their male sexual partners’ having undergone the procedure.
A study from the late 1990s found that 44 per cent of men aged 40 to 74 had had a vasectomy.
The study found other increases in birth control methods. Notably, ever-use of oral contraceptives pills was up from 75 per cent of women to 89 per cent and contraceptive injections increased from 10 to 15 per cent. Intrauterine devices (IUD) rose from 17 to 20 per cent and condoms from 24 to 64 per cent.
- BodyA cup of coffee a day could be the secret to burning fat
Now To LoveToday 2:00pm
- CareerThe Chicks Suzanne Lynch on nearing 70 and life being more exciting than ever
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 10:00am
- FamilyMental health advocate Mike King opens up about his daughter Alex following in his footsteps
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:41am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has upgraded her engagement ring from Prince Harry
Now To LoveToday 9:15am
- FamilyThe woman who supported Arthur Taylor through four decades in prison
Woman's DayToday 8:30am
- TVThe Block NZ Firehouse contestants Stacy and Adam's biggest challenge
Woman's DayYesterday 11:39am
- RoyalsSarah Ferguson brings to light one of the royal family's saddest tales from the past
Now To LoveYesterday 11:39am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan reveals how she made her royal wedding to Prince Harry feel ‘intimate’
Now To LoveYesterday 9:30am
- Food & DrinksCassidy in the Kitchen: Bravo NZ host Cassidy Morris's easy peanut butter cups
Now To LoveYesterday 8:47am
- RelationshipsDWTS judge Camilla Sacre-Dallerup's romantic Queenstown escape with her husband
Woman's DayYesterday 8:35am
- MindWestside's Antonia Prebble talks motherhood, career and how she nurtures her mind, body and soul
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 8:00am
- BodyHow to best take care of your skin in cold winter weather
Now To LoveYesterday 7:30am