“By March 2016, I was tired of life. My body had become so large that by 10AM each day I was physically exhausted, my feet ached and I was in constant pain.
What saddened me the most was that my son was missing out on a normal life too, because I was too ashamed to do physical things with him. I wouldn’t take him to the park because I knew I couldn’t chase after him, and I could feel people judging me for my unhealthy lifestyle.
After years of comfort eating, exacerbated partly by my son’s severe health issues (Ashar, 5, has non verbal autism and has been in and out of hospital), I decided enough was enough.
At 174kg, time with my son was running out.
I signed up to my local gym, and was approached by one of the new owners, personal trainer Natasha Smith, to try the ‘30kg in 3 months’ challenge. I nervously accepted, thinking this might motivate me to get into gear. With the help Natasha, I revolutionised my diet and exercise regime.
I tried boxing classes, circuits, and learnt about proper nutrition.
Lo and behold, after three months I had completed the challenge and won a free membership to the gym for a year. I’d also gained some wonderful friends along the way. My long term friend Chris Cunningham, who is also a personal trainer, came up to check in on me too and train with me.
By August 2016, I had lost 50kg through sheer determination, and as it stands I’ve lost an incredible 84kg.
What I’m most proud of is the fact that when my son became very ill in June and almost died, I didn’t turn to food.
The old me would have immediately started to comfort eat, piling the pounds back on I had fought so hard to lose.
If anything I finally realised I never wanted my son to go through what I had to – watching a loved one struggle for life. I was more determined than ever about being healthy.
My next challenge is the loose skin that I’ve been left with. As with lots of people who experience dramatic weightloss, sometimes no matter what you do – that skin will not spring back into place.
I hope one day to get surgery on this area, and for now I’m trying to keep on getting healthier still.”
Natasha, the owner of Coastal Fitness, Mangawhai, told us: “Jo is seriously transformed and I can honestly say is one of the fittest in the Box Fit class. She truly amazes everyone with her determination and attitude to continuously strive to be better and we love the fact that it has made a lot of people feel like if Jo can do it then they can do it too.”
Jo’s mum has set up a Give A Little page here to help her get surgery one day after her dramatic weight loss.
- RoyalsPrince George and Princess Charlotte's special bond with Archie
Now To LoveToday 1:30pm
- WeddingsJacinda Ardern has revealed new details about how Clarke Gayford proposed to her
Now To LoveToday 1:28pm
- BodyThe truth about osteoporosis and bone health for Kiwi women
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 1:00pm
- CareerMean Mums' Anna Jullienne: What she's learned about raising boys, and other fun facts
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 1:00pm
- FamilyJacinda Ardern reveals who Neve gets her 'strong will' from
Now To LoveToday 10:42am
- TVMy Kitchen Rules' Piper breaks her silence on her relationship with Victor
Now To LoveToday 10:00am
- BodyHayley Holt opens up about how sobriety has made her braver and stronger
Good Health ChoicesToday 8:30am
- Pregnancy & BirthSamantha Hayes excitedly announces the gender of her baby
Now To LoveYesterday 12:00pm
- Diet & NutritionThe truth about coconut oil: Is it actually as good for us as we've been told?
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 10:00am
- CareerMean Mums' Morgana O'Reilly gets candid about her school days
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 9:23am
- FamilyHow to get your children off the screens and out into the sunshine
Good Health ChoicesJul 20, 2019
- CareerHow Louise Stainthorpe went from stay at home mum to 'badass businesswoman'
Woman's DayJul 19, 2019
- Married at First SightMAFS' Tamara Joy has hooked up with the brother of a fellow MAFS bride
Now To LoveJul 19, 2019
- FitnessCommon mistakes to avoid when you're working out for weight loss
Good Health ChoicesJul 19, 2019