Former Silver Ferns captain Adine Wilson has revealed to Woman's Day that she broke her neck after a catastrophic accident. Almost 15 months later, the netball legend is fully recovered, but 38-year-old Adine knows she is lucky to be alive.
The North Shore mum-of-two – who is married to former All Black and New Zealand cricketer Jeff Wilson – was climbing down from a ladder at the couple's Mangawhai Heads bach on December 31, 2016 when she missed a rung and fell.
"I remember the sensation of falling," she says. "Then I hit the ground and when I went to get up, I couldn't move my right side."
The beloved sporting hero had fractured two vertebrae. She was rushed to hospital in Whangarei, then airlifted to Auckland for emergency surgery on New Year's Day 2017, a risky operation that took six hours.
Now with fading scars on the front and back of her neck, and a new lease on life, the former athlete tells Woman's Day, "I'm grateful that I'm still here, that it wasn't my time. I'm grateful that I can still boogie-board with the kids and meet my sister for coffee. I'm grateful that I had an amazing husband, and family and friends."
In three months of the accident, Adine was able to return to her part-time job as a lawyer.
Husband Jeff, 44, who never left her side after the accident and while she was in hospital, says he is in awe of how Adine coped. "Right throughout she remained calm. She's the strongest woman I know."
For the full story on Adine's accident and her recovery, see the latest issue of Woman's Day.
- RoyalsPrince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, has died aged 99
Now To LoveApr 09, 2021
- TVPopstars panel tells all: Rock regrets, secret crushes and dad jokes!
Woman's DayApr 09, 2021
- Celebrity NewsIron Mike's magic milestone: 'I'm finally in a good space!'
Woman's DayApr 07, 2021
- TVBachelorettes' show down: Our last-ditch effort to woo Moses
Woman's DayMar 30, 2021
- TVBachelor babes bare all: 'Our lives have changed forever'
Woman's DayMar 29, 2021
- Celebrity NewsSmitten but sleep-deprived! Sam Wallace and fiancée Sarah are on double duty
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyMar 26, 2021
- Celebrity NewsKiwi stunt star Zoë Bell talks brain injuries and break-ups
Woman's DayMar 24, 2021
- TVThe Bachelorette NZ's Lexie and Hamish are moving in together!
Woman's DayMar 11, 2021
- TVHit single Moses: 'I didn't think I deserved love!'
Woman's DayMar 09, 2021
- TVHere are the queens competing in RuPaul's Drag Race Down Under
Now To LoveMar 07, 2021