Former Silver Ferns captain Adine Wilson has revealed to Woman's Day that she broke her neck after a catastrophic accident. Almost 15 months later, the netball legend is fully recovered, but 38-year-old Adine knows she is lucky to be alive.
The North Shore mum-of-two – who is married to former All Black and New Zealand cricketer Jeff Wilson – was climbing down from a ladder at the couple's Mangawhai Heads bach on December 31, 2016 when she missed a rung and fell.
"I remember the sensation of falling," she says. "Then I hit the ground and when I went to get up, I couldn't move my right side."
The beloved sporting hero had fractured two vertebrae. She was rushed to hospital in Whangarei, then airlifted to Auckland for emergency surgery on New Year's Day 2017, a risky operation that took six hours.
Now with fading scars on the front and back of her neck, and a new lease on life, the former athlete tells Woman's Day, "I'm grateful that I'm still here, that it wasn't my time. I'm grateful that I can still boogie-board with the kids and meet my sister for coffee. I'm grateful that I had an amazing husband, and family and friends."
In three months of the accident, Adine was able to return to her part-time job as a lawyer.
Husband Jeff, 44, who never left her side after the accident and while she was in hospital, says he is in awe of how Adine coped. "Right throughout she remained calm. She's the strongest woman I know."
For the full story on Adine's accident and her recovery, see the latest issue of Woman's Day.
- Family8 foodie road trip adventures that your family will love
Now To LoveToday 5:00pm
- Diet & NutritionIs margarine actually bad for you? Four myths busted
Now To LoveToday 4:00pm
- At homeHow the right retirement village enabled mum to be mum again
Now To LoveToday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's stunning wildlife photography is revealed in celebration of Earth Day
Now To LoveToday 11:31am
- RoyalsHow the Royal Family spent the day on the Queen’s 93rd birthday
Now To LoveToday 9:15am
- CareerThe Kiwi couple who are making comfy prosthetic breasts
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:00am
- At homeWhy a magazine subscription is the perfect gift for you or someone you love
Now To LoveToday 9:00am
- CareerAnnabelle White's recipe to living a happy, contented life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:42am
- FamilyFamily meal inspiration: Jo Seagar's 'loaves and fishes' approach to family meals
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 12:00pm
- MindWhy travel memories play an important part in helping to develop our personality
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 10:00am
- TVDancing With The Stars' Manu Vatuvei's biggest fear when it comes to the dance floor
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- Celebrity NewsDoting dad Ronan Keating enjoys a family day out at Auckland's waterfront
Woman's DayApr 21, 2019
- BodyMatilda Green talks motherhood, mental wellbeing and her plans for the future
Good Health ChoicesApr 21, 2019
- FitnessThese dance workouts will be so fun that you won't even feel like you're exercising
Good Health ChoicesApr 20, 2019
- RoyalsHappy birthday Her Majesty! Celebrating 93 years with Queen Elizabeth II
Now To LoveApr 20, 2019