Eating right for you involves eating the right levels of fats, proteins and carbohydrates for your genetics and metabolism. At BePure this is what we call "finding your macronutrient profile".
Stable blood-sugar levels are the king of stable energy levels. Foods that spike your blood sugar give you a short peak in energy followed by long, lethargic lows. Eating the right balance of carbohydrates, fats and proteins for your body will stabilise your blood-sugar levels, giving you the energy to feel your best.
Water is required for all functions of energy at a cellular level, so it's important to keep hydrated. I like people to drink 0.033L per kilogram everyday. If you're 60kg that means 2L a day, 75kg means 2.5L a day and for 90kg this is 3L a day. If you don't drink enough water, you're not going to have enough energy.
In the modern world we experience huge demands on our metabolic pathways for energy production, detoxification and hormone production. To support these pathways in functioning optimally, we require healthy levels of nutrients in the body. Unfortunately, due to poor soil quality, modern farming and food conveniences, plus increased stressors on our body (which see us use up nutrients much faster), it's very difficult, if not impossible, to get the nutrients we need from food alone. Adding quality nutritional support is a great way to easily increase nutrient and energy levels. Some key nutrients I'd recommend starting with are a quality multivitamin, vitamin C and CoQ10.
Sleep helps us balance our entire system. It's important we get at least eight hours of sleep to allow our bodies to restore and rebuild our resources and energy levels to function well the next day.
To ensure good-quality sleep, I suggest simple things such as turning your phone and devices off a few hours before bed, doing some relaxing exercises (such as putting your legs up the wall for 10 minutes) or enjoying another calming activity in the hour before going to sleep.
Yes, energy is made at the cellular level, but hormones control these cells, and what controls your hormones, to a degree, are your thoughts. By nurturing great mental health, enjoying life and being excited about what is happening in your world, you are more likely to produce the hormones required for energy production which will lead to boundless energy.
- Diet & NutritionA nutritionist's advice for what to do if your weight fluctuates as much as your mood
Good Health ChoicesToday 12:00pm
- BodyGemma McCaw's tips on how to get your best ever beach body
Woman's DayToday 8:00am
- Married at First SightMAFS' Vicky Fuller and Stefaan Nes have broken up - again
Now To LoveToday 2:18pm
- Parenting NewsGlobal study shows Kiwi teenagers are among the most inactive in the world
Now To LoveToday 1:22pm
- RoyalsThe sweet and subtle way Duchess Meghan honoured Prince Harry and baby Archie
Now To LoveToday 12:05pm
- TVMatty McLean had a huge night after winning Television Personality of the Year
Now To LoveToday 11:50am
- FitnessThe full-body workout you can do with just a park bench
Good Health ChoicesToday 9:20am
- Pregnancy & Birth'Our Halloween treat': Jessica Mutch-McKay presents her adorable baby girl to the world
Now To LoveYesterday 4:13pm
- RelationshipsMatilda Green serves cheeky burn to husband Art on social media
Now To LoveYesterday 2:40pm
- RoyalsPrince Charles says New Zealand ‘offers an example to the world’ in a heartfelt speech at Waitangi
Now To LoveYesterday 12:00pm
- CareerFive things Stephen Colbert has taught us about our own Prime Minister
Now To LoveYesterday 9:45am
- RoyalsPrince Andrew has stepped back from public royal duties for the foreseeable future
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- CareerWhat Charlie's Angels original Jaclyn Smith is up to now
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- WeddingsFormer Black Cap Simon Doull marries after a whirlwind courtship that began at a hospital bedside
Woman's DayYesterday 8:25am
- CareerA virus left me paralysed but it didn't stop me from having a career in netball
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 8:00am
- CompetitionsWin the new NutriBullet 1000W Blender Combo worth $299.99!
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 7:00am
- BodyBalcony fall survivor AJ Pouoa: 'How a night at a friend's house left me paralysed'
Woman's DayNov 20, 2019