- Use your phone: There are thousands of easy-to-download apps that can help you run faster and train harder. FitStar is a free app that contains programmes to inspire you to move more. Map My Fitness is the ideal app for running enthusiasts. It calculates the distance you run and your average pace, as well as providing a map of your route.
- Join a group sport: Sign up for a sport team. It’s a great way of exercising and socialising. Check if your work has corporate teams or look at your local community board.
- Get cleaning: It may not be the most glamorous form of exercise but cleaning is a great way to burn extra calories. Half an hour of vacuuming can burn up to 125 calories, while mopping can burn 100. Scrub-a-dub-dub!
- Head to the park: Your friendly neighbourhood playground is a great place to work out. Try using monkey bars for pull-ups, run a few laps of the field or use platforms for lunges or tricep dips.
- Hike: Take advantage of good weather and head out for a hike. New Zealand has thousands of nature walks that range from a few hours to a few days. Pack a bag of snacks, grab a few friends and make a day of it.
Photos: Getty Images