It seems not a summer season goes by when the humble polka dot is not dubbed a must-try trend. In recent years dots and spots have covered everything from swimsuits to formal dresses and party shoes - but this is not just a modern obsession.
One of the most famous polka dot wearers, none other than Minnie Mouse in her sweet red-and-white dress, was originally thought up by entertainment giant Disney in the 1920s. On-trend with the ‘polka-mania’ reported in America at the time, the dots kept on swinging on full skirts through to the 1950s and beyond.
Sweet yet sophisticated, spots have captured the imagination of many. They’ve been referenced in pop culture with Frank Sinatra’s 1940s hit Polka Dots and Moonbeams and Brian Hyland’s catchy Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini in the late-1950s and there is even a Marvel superhero homage to the prevailing pattern – the 1960s creation Polka Dot Man. The playful pattern has also caught the eye of a number of leading artists, Roy Lichtenstein and Yayoi Kusama to name just two.
The quirky history of polka dots has a part to play in the abundance of spots being sent down the runway. With so many examples from the past, designers have almost unlimited choice of nostalgic references for this design element, plus its long history means the pattern can’t be pinned-down to a certain moment in fashion, making it very versatile.
When it comes to picking up a polka dot piece, Simply You says any spot size will do. The shade? Purists will prefer a classic combo of white with black, navy or red but we’re also fans of on-trend metallics and blush pink.
Flick through our gallery to find a dotty delight to suit you.
1 / 0
2 / 0
3 / 0
4 / 0
5 / 0
6 / 0
7 / 0
8 / 0
9 / 0
- BodyThe simple way to treat ageing skin concerns at home
Now To LoveToday 4:40pm
- TVCarolyn Taylor's epiphany since her return to TV on Dancing With The Stars
Woman's DayToday 2:00pm
- BodyThese common myths about sleep could be compromising your health
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- BodyEverything you need to know about measles and how to beat the disease
Woman's DayToday 7:00am
- FitnessHow our body clocks influence how effectively we exercise
Now To LoveToday 6:00am
- FamilyEight foodie road trip adventures that your family will love
Now To LoveYesterday 5:00pm
- Diet & NutritionIs margarine actually bad for you? Four myths busted
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- At homeHow the right retirement village enabled mum to be mum again
Now To LoveYesterday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's stunning wildlife photography is revealed in celebration of Earth Day
Now To LoveYesterday 11:31am
- RoyalsNew house, new baby, new continent? Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan look set to be moving to Africa
Now To LoveYesterday 9:25am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight NZ's Dan and Yuki: 'We're more in love than ever'
Woman's DayYesterday 9:20am
- RoyalsHow the Royal Family spent the day on the Queen’s 93rd birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- CareerThe Kiwi couple who are making comfy prosthetic breasts
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- At homeWhy a magazine subscription is the perfect gift for you or someone you love
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am
- CareerAnnabelle White's recipe to living a happy, contented life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 8:42am