The homegrown serial drama that captured Kiwis’ hearts to become the most popular program on television is marking the birthday with an explosive feature-length special on TVNZ 2 on May 25. Familiar faces from the past are expected to return, with Claire Chitham (Waverly) and Karl Burnett (Nick Harrison) confirmed but surprises being kept top secret to the special episode.
This week, Woman’s Day kicks of the celebrations of the iconic Kiwi drama series, with a Shortland Street cover and 32-page bonus booklet jam packed with nostalgia. As well as all the weddings, bad girls, hot hunks and a cliffhanger quiz, Woman’s Day has picked its 25 best characters of all time.
Top of the list is the show’s longest serving character, Chris Warner, played by Michael Galvin, 50, who talks to Woman’s Day about playing Dr Love. Reminiscing about his first days on set back in 1992, he says, “I was very nervous. No-one in New Zealand had attempted to do five episodes a week of drama and wasn’t sure if it could actually be done. A the end of the first week, we were so far behind in the shooting schedule, we had to come back and work most of Saturday. But after a few weeks we realised we could do it.”
Angela Bloomfield, 44, graces the cover of Woman’s Day with an exclusive tell-all about her time on the show, revealing what it was like to come of age playing Rachel McKenna.
“I realised people were judging me based on what they were seeing on TV, rather than on what I was really like, so I became wary and didn’t engage with strangers the way I do now.”
But at the same time, Angela felt like the luckiest person in the world, learning to act from great talents and being paid for it. She left the show last year and today Angela spends most of her time on the other side of the camera as a director, but she admits to Woman’s Day that she’d be up for it if she was asked back.
- Celebrity NewsLady Gaga has called off her engagement to Christian Carino
Now To LoveToday 1:45pm
- Married at First SightMarried At First Sight's Bronson breaks his silence on THAT comment to Ines
Now To LoveYesterday 3:36pm
- BodyRadio host Sarah Gandy has been diagnosed with breast cancer
Now To LoveYesterday 12:13pm
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has jetted off to New York for her baby shower
Now To LoveYesterday 11:36am
- FertilityTips for couples who are trying to conceive and not pregnant yet
Now To LoveYesterday 11:19am
- Married at First SightThe truth about MAFS' Sam Ball's honeymoon vanishing act - his ex-girlfriend speaks out
Now To LoveYesterday 11:10am
- RoyalsWhy Prince William and Duchess Catherine will be taking a break from their royal duties this week
Now To LoveYesterday 10:15am
- Pregnancy & BirthGemma McCaw's praise for the midwife who delivered baby Charlotte
Woman's DayYesterday 7:00am
- MoneyOnline shopping fails - Kiwi consumers' hilarious tales
Now To LoveFeb 18, 2019
- Celebrity NewsHarper Beckham and Anna Wintour's priceless twinning moment
Now To LoveFeb 18, 2019