Following their bitter, blazing row on the final episode of Married at First Sight NZ, it looked like there was no going back for Julia Malley and Dave McClelland.
But the former couple had a shock change of heart after that dramatic showdown. Despite experiencing intimacy issues throughout the series, Woman's Day can confirm that the pair got "hot and heavy" when the filming of the hit Three series finished.
The Dunedin entrepreneur, 44, first hinted at the reunion on Instagram, writing, "My journey with Julia continues today away from the cameras." And at the NZ Music Awards, the Christchurch account manager, 33, admitted she'd "hooked up" with Dave since the show ended. "It was good – I can't lie!" Julia told us.
Now Dave confesses that the pair got on "exceptionally well after the show", admitting, "We progressed to what I considered would have been enough to have a relationship with her and I thought there may have been a glimmer of hope. But literally within three days of things getting hot and heavy, that old s* came out of the woodwork and she went back to the way she always was.
"I felt the progression we made wasn't genuine. I felt she was coming at me for the wrong reasons, perhaps because she was copping a bit of flak on the show. Maybe it was because I was more popular than others on the show – and certainly her.
"She's got some commitment and trust issues. I've always been pretty upfront and straightforward with her, but she thought I was seeing someone, which I wasn't."
Meanwhile, Julia tells us, "I was quite angry at the way he blindsided me in that last episode, but I got over it and decided it was worth giving it another shot away from the cameras. It wasn't easy, but we turned things around and outside of the experiment, there was an attraction there."
However, she confesses, "I've struggled to let go of the resentment and I was a bit disappointed in him not sticking up for me with all the cyber-bullying. I need to let go of that if we're to have any relationship at all. It's pretty up and down between us, and I'm left as confused as ever."
While Julia now describes her love life as "stagnant", she says Dave will be coming to stay with her in Christchurch this week. But Dave tells us that he's considering moving to Auckland to pursue a career in comedy and that "there's someone I like who I'm having some fun with at the moment".
He says, "I'm just seeing how she feels as she's a pretty private person, and it's quite daunting when we go out as everyone wants to chat and take photos. That's the only downside of the show."
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan's first appearance after her maternity leave has been revealed
Now To LoveToday 12:30pm
- Married at First SightDevastating news as MAFS' Nic reveals his cancer has returned
Now To LoveToday 11:28am
- FamilyGemma McCaw on the importance of being a role model for your children
Woman's DayToday 10:30am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight's Tamara and Mick get cosy off screen
Now To LoveToday 8:33am
- Mind4 reasons why embracing boredom could change your life for the better
Good Health ChoicesToday 8:30am
- Diet & Nutrition'I Quit Sugar' author Sarah Wilson talks diet, anxiety and going back-to-basics
Good Health ChoicesToday 8:00am
- BodyHow this woman came up with a way to help women struggling with PCOS take control
Good Health ChoicesToday 7:45am
- BodyHow to understand your body clock for the best quality sleep
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 12:00pm
- CareerThe modern nun: meet the enterprising Carmelite nuns of Melbourne who run their own beauty product business
The Australian Women's WeeklyMar 23, 2019
- FamilyThe mindfulness coach changing Kiwi kids' lives by teaching them how to meditate
The Australian Women's WeeklyMar 22, 2019
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan’s former co-star reveals what she’s really like in real life
Now To LoveMar 22, 2019