After their shock loss on auction night, sympathetic fans flooded a donation page set up for Stace Cottrill and Yanita McLeay – but The Block NZ besties won’t pocket any of the money.
Speaking to Woman’s Day, the girls reveal they are gifting all the funds raised on their Give a Little page to mental health charity Lifeline Aotearoa. It’s a cause to Stace’s heart, explaining she sadly lost a family member to suicide while competing on the Three show.
“Suicide touches so many people and it doesn’t need to,” says 39-year-old mum-of-two Stace. “If this money makes even the tiniest bit of difference, then it’s worth it.”
PHD student Yanita was Stace’s closest confidant as she grieved, and it’s their unbreakable bond that has seen the girls ride out their disappointing loss in the show’s controversial finale last week. While scooping up $20,000 in profit from their house sale, Team Orange narrowly avoided taking home the $100,000 prize money too, when Hamilton brothers-in-law Nate Ross and Andy Murdie’s home was unexpectedly put up for auction a second time.
Despite the shock twist, 29-year-old Yanita says, “We're really, really proud of what we've done. It’s been a rollercoaster – and it's hard to look back, but we're happy.
“We’ve got $20,000, what do we have to be complain about?”
If you or someone you know needs help with mental help, please call Lifeline Aotearoa on 0800 543 354.
For Stace and Yanita’s full story, plus how Block victors Andy and Nate are spending their spoils, check out this week’s Woman’s Day.
- BodyToni Street reflects on the extreme toll her auto-immune disease took on her body
Now To LoveToday 4:02pm
- WeddingsTwo years in the making: Tiki Taane's epic marriage proposal
Woman's DayToday 1:55pm
- TVAussie Bachelor Matt Agnew's embarrassing kissing confession
Now To LoveToday 10:05am
- RoyalsA royal biographer dishes on what the Queen carries in her handbag
Now To LoveToday 9:30am
- MoneyEverything you need to know about saving for your retirement
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:15am
- CareerPaul Henry reveals he's 'in talks' to return to TV
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:00am
- CompetitionsWin an indulgent prize pack from Young Living Oils
Now To LoveToday 7:00am
- Diet & NutritionHere are 6 energy-boosting food alternatives to coffee
Now To LoveYesterday 2:45pm
- Food & DrinksThese Kiwi oats are the perfect go-to breakfast for busy mornings
Now To LoveYesterday 1:00pm
- FamilyA former teen mum shares how she went from pregnant prefect to top of NZ in her career
Now To LoveYesterday 12:17pm
- RelationshipsGreg Boyed's widow posts a touching tribute on the first anniversary of his death
Now To LoveYesterday 11:32am
- TVSam Wallace and Eric Murray bare all on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 10:45am
- RoyalsRevealed: Where Duchess Meghan found inspiration for her wedding day makeup look
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- Travel News'Travel agents are retro' and 3 other misconceptions about travel consultants debunked
Now To LoveYesterday 10:11am
- PetsNZ police have posted a touching tribute to Constable Elliott: the world's first police guinea pig
Now To LoveYesterday 9:21am
- CareerBlack Ferns star Kendra Cocksedge: Living her dream and on a mission to help others live theirs
Woman's DayYesterday 8:10am
- WeddingsDying bride's perfect day: My final dream has come true
Woman's DayAug 20, 2019
- RoyalsPrince Harry's trick to beating a heatwave? ‘Budgie smugglers’, he says
Now To LoveAug 20, 2019