After their shock loss on auction night, sympathetic fans flooded a donation page set up for Stace Cottrill and Yanita McLeay – but The Block NZ besties won’t pocket any of the money.
Speaking to Woman’s Day, the girls reveal they are gifting all the funds raised on their Give a Little page to mental health charity Lifeline Aotearoa. It’s a cause to Stace’s heart, explaining she sadly lost a family member to suicide while competing on the Three show.
“Suicide touches so many people and it doesn’t need to,” says 39-year-old mum-of-two Stace. “If this money makes even the tiniest bit of difference, then it’s worth it.”
PHD student Yanita was Stace’s closest confidant as she grieved, and it’s their unbreakable bond that has seen the girls ride out their disappointing loss in the show’s controversial finale last week. While scooping up $20,000 in profit from their house sale, Team Orange narrowly avoided taking home the $100,000 prize money too, when Hamilton brothers-in-law Nate Ross and Andy Murdie’s home was unexpectedly put up for auction a second time.
Despite the shock twist, 29-year-old Yanita says, “We're really, really proud of what we've done. It’s been a rollercoaster – and it's hard to look back, but we're happy.
“We’ve got $20,000, what do we have to be complain about?”
If you or someone you know needs help with mental help, please call Lifeline Aotearoa on 0800 543 354.
For Stace and Yanita’s full story, plus how Block victors Andy and Nate are spending their spoils, check out this week’s Woman’s Day.
- RoyalsPrincess Beatrice and Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi welcome their first child, a baby girl
Now To LoveSep 21, 2021
- TVCelebrity Treasure Island's Tegan Yorwarth's message to internet trolls
Woman's DaySep 20, 2021
- TVBlack Ferns star Huriana Manuel's Olympic heartbreak
Woman's DaySep 15, 2021
- TVProud Dad Art Green: 'My little girl is just so special'
Woman's DaySep 13, 2021
- Celebrity NewsAngela Bloomfield's tears and fears: 'I haven't given up on love!'
Woman's DaySep 07, 2021
- Celebrity NewsJoe Naufahu's heartbreak: 'I'm doing this for Mum'
Woman's DaySep 06, 2021
- Real LifeKiwi parents nightmare: 'Our son should still be here'
Woman's DaySep 03, 2021
- Real LifeKiwi Paralympic kayaker Corbin Hart's unstoppable romance
Woman's DayAug 28, 2021
- TVCelebrity Treasure Island hosts Bree Tomasel and Matt Chisholm's special bond
Woman's DayAug 27, 2021
- Real LifeTVNZ reporter Michelle Prendiville opens up about her alopecia
Woman's DayAug 27, 2021