Royals

Prince William and Prince Harry issue a joint statement denying rift rumours

The brothers were quick to quash reports Prince William’s alleged ‘bullying’ led to a rift with Prince Harry.

The Duke of Cambridge and Duke of Sussex have issued a rare joint statement, denying rumours that the rift between the brothers was allegedly caused by Prince William's "bullying".
Ahead of the monumental summit at Sandringham between the Queen, Prince Charles, Prince William and Prince Harry, a spokesperson for the two brothers released the joint press release which stated: "Despite clear denials, a false story ran in a UK newspaper today speculating about the relationship between the Duke of Sussex and the Duke of Cambridge," it began.
"For brothers who care so deeply about the issues surrounding mental health, the use of inflammatory language in this way is offensive and potentially harmful."
While the statement does not specify which UK newspaper, it is highly likely they are referring to the story published by The Times, which implied the two brothers fell out because Prince William was allegedly unfriendly towards Harry's wife Meghan.
According to The Times' report, "Harry felt that William was insufficiently welcoming towards Meghan when they first started dating," with their relationship supposedly strained ever since.
The two brothers have issued a rare joint statement, denying rumours about their supposed rift. (Image: Getty)
Rumours of a rift between the brothers have circulated for many months, with Prince Harry finally addressing the speculation during his interview with ITV's Tom Bradby in last year's documentary Harry and Meghan: An African Journey, which documented the couple's royal tour of southern Africa.
When Bradby asked if there was any truth in the speculation, Harry replied: "Part of this role and part of this job and this family being under the pressure that it's under inevitably, you know, stuff happens.
"But look, we're brothers. We'll always be brothers. We're certainly on different paths at the moment but I will always be there for him and as I know he'll always be there for me."
Adding, "You know, we don't see each other as much as we, as much as we used to because we're busy. But I love him dearly and, you know, the majority of the stuff is created out of nothing.
"Just as I said, as brothers, you know, you have good days, you have bad days."
WATCH: Prince Harry on his 'rift' with his brother. Story continues below...
According to The Sunday Times, the prince told a close friend, "I've put my arm around my brother all our lives and I can't do that anymore; we're separate entities."
However, the 37-year-old is optimistic they can repair their relationship over time.
"All we can do, and all I can do, is try and support them and hope that the time comes when we're all singing from the same page," he said, according to the friend.
"I want everyone to play on the team."
Over the past few years rumours have swirled that not all may be well between the two brothers. (Image: Getty)
Following Monday's summit, the Queen made her first public statement regarding the Sussexes' bombshell decision, throwing support behind the couple, while admitting there were still more decisions to be made.
"My family and I are entirely support of Harry and Meghan's desire to create a new life as a young family," the 93-year-old monarch wrote.
"Although we would have preferred them to remain full-time working Members of the Royal Family, we respect and understand their wish to live a more independent life as a family while remaining a valued part of my family."
She added, "These are complex matters for my family to resolve, and there is some work to be done, but I have asked for final decisions to be reached in the coming days."