All relationships have their ups and downs, even when they appear rock-solid. And new revelations from respected royal biographer Andrew Morton show that Prince William and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge's, is no different.
In his biography, William and Catherine, Morton has revealed that in the early days Kate sometimes felt like William treated her "like a servant".
Morton wrote: "Obstinate and strong-willed, William could be an overwhelming presence and, at times, Kate felt taken for granted – treated like a servant rather than his girlfriend."
The couple first met as students at the University of St Andrews, in Scotland, and according to a friend of the couple and university co-hort, Michael Choong, William "could be flip and curt" with Kate.
He told Morton: "She didn't like it when he ignored her and got into conversation with someone as though she wasn't there.
"He expected Kate to run after him and the longer they knew each other the more he seemed to keep her on a tight leash."
In 2007 the royal couple, who this year celebrated their eighth wedding anniversary, even split up for a short time, with author Jessica Jayne revealing last year in her book, The Duchess of Cambridge: How Kate Middleton Became A Future Queen, that it was because Prince William had begun to feel "claustrophobic" in the relationship.
He called things off then went on holiday, sailing around Greece with his close friend and nightclub owner, Guy Pelly.
Pelly is now the godfather of Prince George and Prince Louis.
Jayne claimed that Pelly had organised an all-female crew for the sailing trip, and that Kate was left feeling "miserable", seeking solace at her parents' home.
During the break-up period, Kate spent time with sister Pippa and dated other men. However, she and William soon realised they were meant to be together and reconciled, announcing their engagement in November 2010.
They were married in April 2011, and the rest, as they say, is history.
Well, the course of true love never did run smooth. At least so says William Shakespeare.
- RoyalsInside a play date with Prince George and Princess Charlotte at Kensington Palace
Now To LoveToday 3:40pm
- PetsThe online pet product delivery service that just made your life easier
Now To LoveToday 2:00pm
- RoyalsIs this a clue that Duchess Meghan is relaunching her lifestyle blog The Tig?
Now To LoveToday 11:15am
- CareerFrom Shortland Street to water births: Katherine McRae's new focus
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:09am
- RoyalsNew book details the lives of the photographers who captured the royals behind closed doors
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:00am
- FamilyNadene Lomu's tearful confession: Pushed to breaking point after Jonah's death
Woman's DayToday 7:45am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight NZ brides share the details on their wedding dresses
Woman's DayYesterday 4:45pm
- TVThe one thing Jodie Rimmer did on Celebrity Treasure Island that her children made her apologise for
Woman's DayYesterday 8:55am
- At homeThe sensitive skin laundry hack that makes your clothes soft and speeds up drying time
Now To LoveYesterday 8:24am
- EntertainmentWoman's Day Bonds X-Temp hottest media hunk has been crowned
Woman's DayYesterday 8:21am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan shares an adorable unseen photo from Archie’s christening for Prince Harry’s birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 8:00am
- TVThe top five moments from Celebrity Treasure Island this week
Now To LoveSep 15, 2019
- CareerHelen Mirren on why being old is 'cool' and marriage is great
The Australian Women's WeeklySep 15, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a $500 Countdown voucher to launch your Disney Word tile collection
Woman's DaySep 15, 2019
- BodyDWTS winner Loryn Reynolds' sister can finally dance again after losing a whopping 70kg
Woman's DaySep 14, 2019