WATCH: In the video, above, Samantha Markle admits that she "suggested" photographers show Thomas Markle "doing positive things".
As Kensington Palace confirm Meghan Markle's father Thomas Markle will no longer be attending his daughter's wedding to Prince Harry this weekend, Meghan's half-sister Samantha Markle is shedding new light on the staged paparazzi photo scandal that has embroiled their father.
In the lead-up to the royal wedding, retired lighting director Thomas had been photographed browsing pictures of his daughter and soon-to-be son-in-law Prince Harry in an internet cafe, reading up on British landmarks, lifting weights to get in shape for the wedding, and being fitted for a suit for the big day.
But surveillance footage obtained by Britain's Daily Mail alleges the photos were set up.
And now, Samantha claims the whole mess is her fault.
"I have to say I am entirely the culprit," Samantha explained during an interview on British talkshow Loose Women.
"As we know the media can take very unflattering photographs of people on their casual days and blow it way out of proportion. I said, you know, the world has no idea you're getting in shape, doing healthy things. They don't photograph you buying vegetables and PH water. They photograph you as unflattering ways as they can," Samantha, who is not invited to the wedding, claimed.
"So I said, really you need to show the world that you're getting in shape and doing great healthy things.
"So I suggested it. There's a lot of scrutiny that it was money motivated, it was not. It was my suggestion that to benefit him and to benefit the royal family that everyone looked good and they depict you as you are – in shape and doing healthy things."
The mother-of-three says the last time she spoke to Meghan was in 2015.
"I was concerned about my father and I called her in Canada. Her last words were 'nice to talk to you babe, let's keep in touch.'"
On Monday, TMZ reported that Thomas Markle had pulled out of the important day in the aftermath of the staged paparazzi photos and because he had suffered a heart attack six days ago.
Kensington Palace have since issued a statement asking for "understanding" but did not confirm if the TMZ report was true.
"This is a deeply personal moment for Ms Markle in the days before her wedding," the statement said.
"She and Prince Harry ask again for understanding and respect to be extended to Mr Markle in this difficult situation."
While marrying a prince may seem a fairytale, Meghan Markle has had to give up a lot to join the royal family, and scandals like this just days out from the wedding can only add further stress to the situation.
WATCH: In the video below Samantha Markle addresses questions about not being invited to the wedding.
- FamilySamantha Hayes' baby Marlow joins her on the newsdesk and all we can say is awww!
Now To LoveToday 6:40pm
- RoyalsThe Sun's executive editor Kiwi Dan Wootton on his royal scoops and tabloid career
Now To LoveToday 2:45pm
- BodyWhy we should all be exercising our pelvic floor muscles every day
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 10:00am
- RoyalsPrince Harry asks to simply be called ‘Harry’ during his first engagement since moving to Canada
Now To LoveYesterday 11:50am
- RoyalsThere has been a coronavirus scare at Prince George and Princess Charlotte’s school in London
Now To LoveYesterday 10:05am
- WeddingsHappily ever after: Meet the Kiwi bride who has married herself
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:21am
- FamilyShe was my escape: Taylor Swift's heartbreak over her mum's health scare
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:09am
- WeddingsRebekah Palmer's dreamy summer wedding was a day full of surprises
Woman's DayYesterday 8:15am