Royals

Buckingham Palace has given a rare update on the royal baby

Putting a whole lot of rumours to rest.

As royal fans begin getting restless as they await the birth of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's first child, rumours have been rife, most notably speculation that Meghan has in fact already had the baby.
After it was announced on Thursday that Prince Harry would be travelling to The Netherlands next week, sightings of ambulances around Windsor, and reports that the Queen has visited Frogmore Cottage, many people took this as confirmation that Baby Sussex has arrived and that the couple were just holding off announcing the baby's arrival.
The ambulance sightings have since been confirmed to be unrelated to the royal baby and now Buckingham Palace, who have stayed relatively mum about details surrounding the royal baby's birth, have also put those rumours to bed once and for all, confirming to CBS News last night that the royal baby "hasn't been born yet".
Buckingham Palace has made a rare update about Baby Sussex, quashing rumours that the baby has already arrived. (Image: Getty)
While no exact due date for Meghan has ever been known, conclusions were drawn that she was due in late April or early May, after she let slip she was six months pregnant, during a walkabout in Birkenhead in January.
The main reason for much of the speculation that the public haven't been informed about the royal birth yet stems from a statement Buckingham Palace released last month which said Prince Harry and Meghan "have taken a personal decision to keep plans around the arrival of their baby private" and that they "look forward to sharing the exciting news with everyone once they have had an opportunity to celebrate privately as a new family."
The press release caused a lot of confusion around how much will and will not be shared with the public, with some people believing the public will be told no details at all until the baby has been born, to the belief that the public will know when Meghan's in labour but won't be told any further details until the family have had a chance to celebrate privately.
Meghan confirmed she was six months pregnant during a walkabout in Birkenhead in January. (Image: Getty)
And it would seem the latter is true, with well-respected reporter Rebecca English tweeting she was "assured" Baby Sussex isn't secretly here, reiterating this in a further tweet saying, "Am assured that if they are able to tell us she has gone into labour, then they will.
"I think the misunderstanding about how much is being kept private came as a result of the initial, slightly badly-worded, press release."
Earlier this week there were also rumours that Harry and Meghan already knew the gender of their child – something they had in the past said they didn't know – after eagle-eyed fans spotted the Royal Family's website had reserved pages for a 'Prince Arthur', 'Prince James' and 'Prince Alexander', making them believe Baby Sussex will be a boy.
However a Buckingham Palace spokeswoman has also told the The Daily Star that "a large number of search term redirects were set up some time ago on royal.uk.
"This was in order to improve user experience."
And so the wait continues as the world waits at the edge of their seats for the arrival of the child who will be born seventh in line for the British throne.