Christchurch groom Ray Wedlake left Married At First Sight NZ with enemies and no husband, but the straight-talking party animal says he's happier than ever thanks to a new man!
He's dating Christchurch event manager Jamie Smith, 25, who he met three months ago at a netball social gathering.
"We got to know each other well as friends," says Ray, 31. "Then I was going on MAFS to get married to the love of my life, so I thought, and Jamie was heading off for a holiday in America for a month."
When things crumbled with his on-air groom Jonathan Trenberth, 31, and Jamie returned from the US, Ray got in touch to see how his trip went. A week into MAFS airing, the two were dating.
"Those first couple of episodes were the most difficult part, seeing someone I was beginning to develop feelings for so romantically involved with someone in such a public way," recalls Jamie.
But the fireworks soon crashed.
Watch: The 'straw that broke the camel's back' in Ray and Jono's disastrous marriage. Article continues below.
Jamie continues, "The show struggled to build the whole story around Ray's personality. There were times Ray was being cheeky or mischievous, but when you've only got that 10-second clip, it can come off quite conniving.
"That's not the experience I have with Ray. He's very forthcoming with his opinions, as most of New Zealand would agree, and I like that!"
Ray says as well as being genuine, loving and family-oriented, Jamie knows how to party. "MAFS was definitely an experience and I don't take any of it back. But I've won the prize now."
- CareerMeet Christine Fernyhough - the intrepid Auckland housewife who took on a high country farm and won
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 10:00am
- RelationshipsJay-Jay Feeney dishes on her sizzling summer with her 'toyboy' Minou
Woman's DayToday 8:00am
- MindHilary Barry's perfect clap back at a viewer: ‘Enough with the age-shaming’
Now To LoveJan 24, 2020
- Diet & NutritionDiet and ‘detox’ teas have been pulled from New Zealand shelves
Now To LoveJan 23, 2020
- CareerNigella Lawson's new direction at 60: 'I feel so much more open to anything and everything'
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJan 23, 2020
- WeddingsIt's love-all for tennis star Michael Venus as he marries the mother of his child
Woman's DayJan 23, 2020
- Pregnancy & BirthBreakfast’s Hayley Holt is expecting her first child
Now To LoveJan 22, 2020
- Real LifeFacing the fiery inferno: Kiwi family's frightening Aussie bushfire ordeal
Woman's DayJan 22, 2020