Westside actor Pana Hema-Taylor has been convicted of assault.
In sentencing at the Auckland District Court today he was ordered to pay a $500 fine and $1,500 reparation to his victim, the New Zealand Herald has reported.
The actor, best known for his role as Bert Thompson in the hit drama Westside, pleaded guilty to the charge of assault in May after he came to the aid of his mother and sister when a fight broke out in his street last February.
Hema-Taylor, 28, who has a child with his former partner, Wentworth star Danielle Cormack, was originally charged with assault with intent to injure, however the charge was lessened to common assault after the circumstances surrounding the incident were taken into account.
Judge Russell Collins praised Hema-Taylor for not using his celebrity status to seek a discharge without conviction, and for showing "clear remorse" and owning up to his mistake by pleading guilty.
Hema-Taylor's breakout role was in the celebrated 2010 film Boy, starring alongside Taika Waititi and James Rolleston
The judge acknowledged the "likely impact" this conviction would have on his career.
In a statement to The Herald after sentencing, Hema-Taylor spoke of the events on the night.
"As I have previously stated, on that night I felt that I needed to become involved to protect my mum and sister from an assault outside their home," he said.
"I still think I needed to become involved, and so do they. But I accept in retrospect that I misjudged the situation and what was required. I used too much force and someone was hurt. It all happened quickly and I never intended that.”
- Body4 reasons why a visit to this hidden oasis will have you feeling summer-ready
Now To LoveToday 2:00pm
- RoyalsSarah Ferguson zooms around an airport on a motorised suitcase in a hilarious new video
Now To LoveToday 12:15pm
- RoyalsIs Duchess Catherine getting her own television show?
Now To LoveToday 10:05am
- CareerKeeping Up With The Kaimanawas horse whisperer Kelly Wilson on the stallion that changed her life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:36am
- Career'You just have to be yourself': Ingrid Hipkiss on taking over from Samantha Hayes on the 6pm news
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:25am
- WeddingsZac Franich and Erin Simpson's magical wedding day
Woman's DayToday 9:15am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan steps out in $50,000 ruby earrings by Kiwi designer Jessica McCormack
Now To LoveYesterday 12:00pm
- FamilyAt home with Matilda and Art Green: 'Baby Milo is our dream come true'
Woman's DayYesterday 10:55am
- RoyalsPlastic surgery clinic slammed for misusing Kate Middleton's face to promote face lift
Now To LoveYesterday 10:45am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine wore this special brooch on Remembrance Sunday for a very touching reason
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am
- CompetitionsWin a set of pearls thanks to Michael Hill Jewellers
Woman's DayYesterday 7:00am
- RelationshipsWestside actress Jessica Grace Smith's romantic beachside proposal
Woman's DayNov 10, 2019
- MindWhy saying 'yes' to stress can actually benefit us
Good Health ChoicesNov 09, 2019
- BodyRenee Wright: Why I'm prioritising my health this summer
NEXTNov 09, 2019
- RoyalsPrince Charles shakes hands with trees after he plants them to 'wish them well'
Now To LoveNov 08, 2019