Movie star Tom Cruise has arrived in Queenstown where he will be filming his new blockbuster, Mission Impossible 6.
It’s understood segments of the film will be shot in the remote Rees Valley, just north of Glenorchy.
While the exact location remains tightly under wraps, Stuff reports there have been sightings of security around Duffers Saddle, on Nevis Road, near Cromwell.
Portable toilets have been bought into the area and a marque has been set up. Several military structures, surrounded by high-barbed wire fencing, have also been seen on the privately-owned property.
According to Fairfax sources the remote and rugged Central Otago location will stand in for Iraq. Insiders have also revealed it’s likely a car chase will be filmed here too.
The film’s other locations remain a closely guarded secret at this time.
The Hollywood celebrity jetted into the country from Fiji on a private jet yesterday morning. It’s believed filming is scheduled to start Monday June 19.
Cruise was last in New Zealand in 2002 for the filming of the Last Samurai in Taranaki.
Starring alongside the Hollywood heavyweight in the sixth installment of the action spy series will be Rebecca Fergusson, Ving Rhames, Simon Pegg, Alec Baldwin and Sean Harris.
Mission Impossible 6 will be directed by Christopher McQuarrie, who also directed the fifth chapter, Rogue Nation.
The movie is due for release July next year.
- FamilySamantha Hayes' baby Marlow joins her on the newsdesk and all we can say is awww!
Now To LoveToday 6:40pm
- RoyalsThe Sun's executive editor Kiwi Dan Wootton on his royal scoops and tabloid career
Now To LoveToday 2:45pm
- BodyWhy we should all be exercising our pelvic floor muscles every day
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 10:00am
- RoyalsPrince Harry asks to simply be called ‘Harry’ during his first engagement since moving to Canada
Now To LoveYesterday 11:50am
- RoyalsThere has been a coronavirus scare at Prince George and Princess Charlotte’s school in London
Now To LoveYesterday 10:05am
- WeddingsHappily ever after: Meet the Kiwi bride who has married herself
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:21am
- FamilyShe was my escape: Taylor Swift's heartbreak over her mum's health scare
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:09am
- WeddingsRebekah Palmer's dreamy summer wedding was a day full of surprises
Woman's DayYesterday 8:15am