Meghan Markle might have dubbed Serena Williams her 'closest friend' but it seems that the tennis legend could miss her wedding to Prince Harry in May. In an interview with Good Morning America, Serena opened up about her friendship with Meghan and despite giving her some marriage advice, revealed that she might be tied up in other engagements on the big day.
The friends met back in 2014 at a charity football game, with Meghan stating that they 'hit it off immediately' and chatted about 'good old fashioned girly stuff' on her now dissolved personal blog, The Tig. While Meghan didn't attend Serena's own nuptials, the pair have been close for years, with Meghan attending grand slam matches and supporting her at fashion shows.
However, those very grand slam matches may be the reason Serena can't attend the royal wedding. Coinciding with one of the 23-time Grand Slam winner's tournaments, she gave an ominous response to the question of whether she will attend when speaking with GMA, stating 'I don't know, I think it's during one of the tournaments, I'll see if I can make it.'
As possibly the only person on the planet who would turn down an invite to the royal wedding, Serena offered Meghan advice on the celebration instead, saying, 'I just think it's so important to enjoy the moment. You know and eat cake. I didn't get to eat mine at the wedding, we were just having so much fun!'
We don't doubt that Meghan will understand should her close friend have to miss the wedding, given Meghan missed Serena's due to work commitments herself. However, we're holding out hope to spot the tennis star in her wedding guest finery next month.
This article originally appeared on Grazia.
- WeddingsBride quits job to plan her dream wedding and demands her fiancé get a second job
Now To LoveToday 2:00pm
- BodyKaty Perry and Orlando Bloom's new age secret to staying young
Now To LoveToday 12:30pm
- RoyalsWhy we’re unlikely to see much of Duchess Catherine and Prince William over the coming month
Now To LoveYesterday 12:30pm
- WeddingsA wedding photographer has sparked heated debate after urging wedding guests to put away their phones
Now To LoveYesterday 11:00am
- Real LifeYoung dad's incredible feat to save his family from certain death
Woman's DayYesterday 9:30am
- CareerThe tough Kiwi women who are running organisations that were traditionally 'boys' clubs'
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:17am
- FamilyShortland Street's Laurel Devenie introduces her gorgeous new arrival to the world
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- Relationships9 common dating mistakes - and how you can avoid making them
Now To LoveJul 15, 2019
- TVThe Block NZ's Sophia and Mikaere disqualified after cheating scandal
Now To LoveJul 15, 2019
- FamilyRobbie Magasiva opens up about the devastating loss of his beloved brother Pua
Woman's DayJul 15, 2019