Robert De Niro has revealed his 18-year-old son Elliot has autism.
"Grace and I have a child with autism and we believe it is critical that all of the issues surrounding the causes of autism be openly discussed and examined," the 72-year-old actor revealed in a statement.
He announced the news before pulling the anti-vaccination documentary Vaxxed: From Cover-Up to Catastrophe from the 2016 Tribeca Film Festival.
The dad-of-six added that while the film is “very personal to me and my family,” he said, “I am not personally endorsing the film, nor am I anti-vaccination”.
He’s alluded to raising a child with special needs in the past.
During an interview with Katie Couric, he broke down while discussing the film Silver Linings Playbook.
"I don't like to get emotional," Robert said. "But I know exactly what he goes through."
- TVThe Apprentice NZ's Kennedy Anderson: 'I was fired from my own company!'
Woman's DayJun 17, 2021
- Celebrity NewsMark Richardson on turning 50 and making his mark on the world
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJun 13, 2021
- TVDrag Race Down Under’s Elektra Shock: From homeless to healed
Woman's DayJun 12, 2021
- Celebrity NewsSuzanne Paul's forever glow and the lessons she's learned
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJun 05, 2021
- Real LifeKiwi mum's transformation: Jules from MAFS changed my life!'
Woman's DayJun 04, 2021
- At homeHow to create a kids room that will last through the ages
Now To LoveJun 03, 2021