Rugby giant Richie McCaw and Black Sticks champion Gemma Flynn have woken after a night of wedding celebrations with family and friends to a perfectly sunny Wanaka morning.
The high profile couple marked the momentous occasion of their first morning as a married couple by sharing a photo to their fans on social media.
The casually dressed yet still very stylish pair can be seen standing together holding hands and looking into each other’s eyes in front of a stellar view of Lake Wanaka.
The romantic caption read: “Awesome to wake up on our first day as Mr and Mrs McCaw”.
According to reports the Kiwi sports stars are believed to have tied the knot yesterday at the Olive Grove in Wanaka, in front of around 80 guests, including legendary All Blacks coach Steve Hansen.
The exclusive venue set on the shores of Lake Wanaka is a stunning and secluded location surrounded by majestic alpine views.
It’s also an area that’s close to the couple’s hearts. It’s where Richie popped the question just over a year ago.
Christchurch-based Richie and Gemma have been together for four years. Gemma, 26, has told how she first met the All Black great at a function, before he contacted her on Facebook.
Taking a low key approach to romance, Richie simply sent a message to Gemma to say he was “sorry for her loss in a hockey game and that he knew exactly what it feels like to lose a big match”.
Gemma, who was busy at the time concentrating on her sporting career, said she forgot to reply, although she did get in touch with the rugby star two weeks later.
The pair took things a step further in 2014 with Gemma moving with Richie’s Christchurch home.
Almost a year ago to the day, Richie proposed to his beautiful sports playing sweetheart. And obviously over the moon at her response, the All Black great took to social media to share the thrilling news.
"Happy new year to everyone,” he wrote under a photo of the pair toasting. “I've had a fantastic start to 2016 and feel very lucky. Gemma said 'yes'! It's been great celebrating our engagement with friends and family in sunny central Otago. Here's to a great year ahead."
- Celebrity NewsJay-Jay Feeney and Paul Flynn: our perfect friendship
Woman's DayJan 08, 2021
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to our exclusive screening of Penguin Bloom
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 27, 2020
- Celebrity NewsRobert Rakete's Christmas plans: 'It'll be a breeze!'
Woman's DayDec 25, 2020
- Celebrity NewsJase, Toni & Sam get festive with their four-legged friends
Woman's DayDec 21, 2020
- FamilyThe Terrace at Sylvia Park - what's on offer at this new dining destination
Now To LoveDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsShortland Street's Ben Barrington and Ngahuia Piripi's Christmas celebrations
Woman's DayDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsWendy Petrie and Matty McLean's festive cheer: 'Our hearts are so full'
Woman's DayDec 15, 2020
- Celebrity NewsKanoa Lloyd and Mike McRoberts' best Christmas ever
Woman's DayDec 14, 2020
- Celebrity NewsSoon I’ll be a dad to three under three! Sam Wallace shares his hopes and fears
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 11, 2020
- Celebrity NewsCarolyn Keep's little miracle: 'The baby I never thought I'd have'
Woman's DayDec 10, 2020
- RoyalsMeghan Markle reveals she miscarried her second child in a powerful personal essay
Now To LoveNov 26, 2020
- CompetitionsWin a Farro Hamper and a double pass to Happiest Season
Now To LoveNov 25, 2020
- CompetitionsWin the Ultimate Teeth Whitening Prize Pack thanks to Colgate Optic White
Woman's DayNov 23, 2020