One famous actor has admitted that in the year leading up to working with Meryl Streep on a new film, he was terrified of her.
So who is it?
Scroll down for video
In a new film called Florence Foster Jenkins about a tone-deaf operatic soprano, Grant played the role of Streep’s common-law husband and manager, St Clair Bayfield.
At the world premiere of the movie in London, Grant and Streep cuddled up to each other in photos, but it wasn't always like that for Hugh and the Oscar-winning actress.
“I was terrified of her really, and I signed up a year before we shot so I had a whole year of being frightened,” Hugh said.
“I would wake up in the middle of the night screaming sometimes, thinking ‘I have to do hard emotional scenes against Meryl Streep. You have to raise your game.’”
He added: “She’s such an icon, it’s very odd to be in her orbit at all.”
The film is based on a true story. Despite facing mockery and criticism for her not-so-great voice, Jenkins sold out New York’s Carnegie Hall, and Grant says this ‘underdog’ theme might pull audiences in.
“Someone pointed out to me the other day that in things like Britain’s Got Talent they love the people that are really bad almost better than the people who are really good, so hopefully there is an audience for this film here,” he said.
“I can’t see how she wouldn’t have won, she really was a sensation in her day.”
“It’s quite something to fill Carnegie Hall when you can’t sing a note,” he continued.
Watch the trailer for Florence Foster Jenkins
- RoyalsDid Prince William just accidentally reveal his nickname for Princess Charlotte?
Now To LoveToday 12:30pm
- RoyalsAll the times Prince Louis looked just like his big brother Prince George
Now To LoveToday 10:25am
- FamilyA foster family's heartbreak as the young man they took in as a baby develops more and more serious health problems
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:22am
- CompetitionsWin a 6 months’ supply of ChildLife vitamins and supplements for a healthy winter
Good Health ChoicesToday 8:00am
- Diet & NutritionLow calorie and dairy-free ice creams that'll satisfy all your frozen dessert cravings
Now To LoveYesterday 2:30pm
- RoyalsRoyal wedding 2019: The official photos from Lady Gabriella Windsor's wedding have just been released
Now To LoveYesterday 12:30pm
- FamilyAmy Schumer is 'mom-shamed' for returning to work two weeks after having her baby
Now To LoveYesterday 12:05pm
- BodyFrom losing 100kg to gaining a wife: Auckland man Brad Wheeler's incredible weight-loss journey
Woman's DayYesterday 11:45am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine looks pretty in pink at the latest Buckingham Palace Garden Party
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am
- TVOur top three moments from Dancing With The Stars, week six
Now To LoveMay 21, 2019
- FamilyGemma McCaw on navigating the first few months of motherhood
Woman's DayMay 21, 2019
- BodyMeet the inspiring Kiwi mum who battled bowel cancer while pregnant
Woman's DayMay 21, 2019