After 10 years of marriage, Melanie Brown – AKA Scary Spice – has called time on her relationship with Stephen Belafonte.
According to People, court documents have been filed with Mel citing “irreconcilable differences” as the cause of the split which took place on December 28, 2016.
Mel also requests joint legal and physical custody for their daughter Madison, 5, and requests the spousal support she’s paying Stephen is terminated.
Strangely, Mel Instagrammed a sweet message about her love for Stephen just a month ago, in which she wrote he was her “world” and how they had “been through everything that would normally tear couples apart and we have come out the other side stronger” adding #tenyearsmarried and #theysaiditwouldntlast.
As the singer turned TV star alluded to, the couple had been plagued for years with reports that their marriage was struggling.
It was claimed they had an open relationship and that Stephen was abusive and had isolated Mel, 41, from her UK-based family leading to an eight year estrangement from her sister, Danielle and mum, Andrea.
In 2015 Mel even addressed speculation that she had been physically assaulted by Stephen after appearing on the X Factor UK with visible bruising and scratches. While Stephen said he hadn’t hurt or cheated on his wife, Mel insisted, “No, my husband didn’t hit me” and denied claims that he held her hostage in their home.
While in the past her sister Danielle has accused Stephen, 41, of being “controlling” and the reason she no longer saw Mel, it seems the sisters may have reconciled just weeks ago. Both were by their dad Martin’s bedside when he passed away after a long battle with cancer earlier this month and Mel signed off a touching Insta tribute to the 63-year-old as being from both of them.
This story originally appeared on Now To Love
- At homeEntertaining with ease thanks to the latest tech products
Now To LoveToday 11:50am
- RoyalsTake a look back at Queen Elizabeth’s first televised Christmas message 62 years ago
Now To LoveToday 11:30am
- MindZac Guildford's candid confession about his battle with drugs and depression
Woman's DayToday 9:50am
- SkincareAcne and exfoliating: does it make your skin worse?
Now To LoveToday 8:00am
- RoyalsThe impact of having Sussex Royal follow you on Instagram
Now To LoveYesterday 3:00pm
- MakeupDo eyebrows grow back? How to regrow over plucked brows
Now To LoveYesterday 2:42pm
- FamilyThe new online shopping portal giving back to Kiwi charities
Now To LoveYesterday 1:11pm
- FamilyThe Topp Twins on facing their first Christmas without their beloved dad
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:50am
- CareerMeet the woman behind one of New Zealand's most classic Kiwi holiday tunes
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:44am
- PetsPet quirks and personalities: Finding the right pet for you and your family
Now To LoveYesterday 9:25am
- SkincareThe difference between natural and chemical sunscreen
- BodyRadio star Sarah Gandy celebrates beating breast cancer
Woman's DayYesterday 8:55am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan's tips for hosting the perfect Christmas dinner
Now To LoveDec 09, 2019
- FamilyGemma McCaw's Christmas joy: 'Words can't describe how grateful I am'
Woman's DayDec 09, 2019