Rocco Ritchie will be staying in London with his father Guy, after the Sherlock Holmes director and ex-wife Madonna reached a settlement in their bitter custody dispute.
A lawyer for Guy announced the news, revealing that “the case is settled and everyone agrees that Rocco’s needs changed”.
“He’s going to be living with dad. Everyone’s agreed to that and there’s no further need for any kind of a court case,” he said, according to Page Six.
Madonna and Guy reportedly reached the settlement just a few hours before they were due to appear in court over the matter.
While the exact terms and conditions of their agreement have not been released publicly, The Daily Mail reports Rocco will continue to attend school in London while receiving regular visits from mum Madonna.
The battle over their teenage son began last year, after Madonna and Rocco reportedly had a falling-out during her world tour. After the UK leg of the tour finished up, Rocco remained in London with his father and refused to return to the US for the Christmas holidays, sparking a court battle between his parents in both New York and London.
In December, a New York judge ruled that Rocco should return to his mother, but decided against issuing a warrant that would enforce this. The 16-year-old stayed with Guy and eventually enrolled in a London school, while the dispute between Guy and Madonna raged on.
At an earlier hearing in Manhattan, State Supreme Court Justice Deborah Kaplan had strong words for the two.
“No one is disrupting his household other than the inability of the parents to reach a resolution. If they cannot resolve this matter then eventually the court will,” she said at the time.
In recent months, Madonna and Rocco seemed to have mended their rift, with the teen making a reappearance on his mother’s social media feed.
Madonna also took him along on a special family bonding trip to Malawi in Africa, the birthplace of his siblings David and Mercy. She also spared no expense for his 16th birthday in August, reportedly arranging for a private jet to transport Rocco and his friends to New York for a celebration.
However, just a few hours after the custody agreement made news, Madonna took to Instagram to post a cryptic photo.
“Because sometimes soccer Mom’s need to be a ……” she wrote, alongside a photo of herself with the word ‘b----‘ scrawled across the top in red.
- RoyalsPrince Harry reveals he felt 'there was no option' but to leave royal life
Now To LoveToday 11:18am
- RoyalsMike and Zara Tindall open up about family life and why they consider Australia their 'second home'
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 11:00am
- Diet & NutritionWhich diet would work best for you according to your personality
Good Health ChoicesToday 8:00am
- RoyalsThe Queen confirms the Sussexes will no longer use their HRH titles in an update on their royal exit
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- MindParalympian Sophie Pascoe opens up about her two-year private battle and why she tries to stay real on social media
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 7:57am
- Body8 Kiwi stars reveal their health, fitness and wellbeing goals for 2020
Good Health ChoicesJan 18, 2020
- MindHow to live a life less rushed: savouring the good times
NEXTJan 18, 2020
- CareerBrendan Cole's new X-Factor Celebrity gig and why he's happy to have the tables turned
Woman's DayJan 18, 2020
- CompetitionsWin $200 worth of back to school gift cards with Woman's Day
Now To LoveJan 17, 2020
- WeddingsSevens star Stacey Waaka's heavenly Waikato wedding
Woman's DayJan 17, 2020
- RoyalsThe cute moment Prince William mistakes a photo of himself for Princess Charlotte
Now To LoveJan 16, 2020
- Pregnancy & BirthMeet Jessica Mutch-McKay's sweet little bundle of joy Margaux
Woman's DayJan 16, 2020
- CompetitionsWin an amazing Dr. Hauschka pamper pack worth $530
Good Health ChoicesJan 16, 2020