Two runners from other sides of the world have received international praise for showing ‘true Olympian’ qualities, after they helped each other during the women’s 5k on Tuesday.
Nikki Hamblin, competing for New Zealand, ended up taking a hard fall during the first 3K of the run, but incredibly was helped to her feet by competitor Abbey D’Agostino.
“Get up. We have to finish this,” D’Agostino told her.
The American, who had also fallen at the same time as Nikki, was later helped by the Kiwi, who hung back to try and help her.
"She helped me first. I tried to help her. She was pretty bad," said Hamblin after the race. She eventually had to leave her US competitor behind, but waited at the finish line where the pair shared a hug.
“That girl is the Olympic spirt right there,” said Nikki, who grew up in England, but moved to New Zealand in 2006.
The pair have since been reinstated as finalists for Friday night’s race, if they are fit enough to compete.
- RoyalsKiwi royal Gary Lewis has split from Lady Davina Windsor
Now To LoveToday 8:45am
- Pregnancy & BirthShortland Street star Laurel Devenie's perfectly-timed pregnancy
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:25am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight's Melissa is on the hunt for a Kiwi bachelor
Woman's DayToday 8:20am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan's first appearance after her maternity leave has been revealed
Now To LoveYesterday 12:30pm
- Married at First SightDevastating news as MAFS' Nic reveals his cancer has returned
Now To LoveYesterday 11:28am
- FamilyKatie Holmes and her daughter Suri bond with women and children at a refugee camp in Greece
Now To LoveYesterday 10:42am
- FamilyGemma McCaw on the importance of being a role model for your children
Woman's DayYesterday 10:30am
- BodyMeet Caleb Wright - the 12-year-old brain cancer sufferer bringing laughter to other sick kids
Woman's DayYesterday 8:45am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight's Tamara and Mick get cosy off screen
Now To LoveYesterday 8:33am
- Mind4 reasons why embracing boredom could change your life for the better
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 8:30am
- Diet & Nutrition'I Quit Sugar' author Sarah Wilson talks diet, anxiety and going back-to-basics
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 8:00am
- BodyHow this woman came up with a way to help women struggling with PCOS take control
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 7:45am
- BodyHow to understand your body clock for the best quality sleep
Good Health ChoicesMar 24, 2019